hey plz look at this nest box problem

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yoshi xii, Sep 30, 2007.

1. yoshi xii

yoshi xii Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2007
    i don't no how to make a nest for my chickens, guineas and ducks

all i put out for them is some hay and they are about to lay eggs in a couple of weeks

plz give som info

-thnx
    Aaron

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can do a search for "nestbox" and find what alot of people have used before. Milk crates, buckets, shelving units. Put the hay in thoes.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've been using a cardboard box filled with hay in our Silky coop/tractor for a nesting box. They'll be getting a "real' nest box later today which is one of those stackable kitchen storage units.

Dawn

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  4. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    for the ducks, you might even try a 5 gallon bucket or a 30 gallon drum on it's side, with bricks or something laid beside it to stop it from rolling. Just put the hay inside and they will walk in to nest. Mine prefer the ground to an elevated box like my chickens use.

5. yoshi xii

Aug 25, 2007
    thnx but i don't have any milk crates and all i have is boxes

6. yoshi xii

Aug 25, 2007
    thnx but i don't have any milk crates and all i have is boxes

and when i put those in my chickens sleep on the edge than insside it it makes me mad because wat if they laid eggs from hanging on the sides i don't want the eggs to break when she lays them i just need info

7. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    they probably won't lay eggs off the sides. most chickens don't roost where they lay, and they don't lay where they roost. when it's time for her to lay an egg, she will go in and turn around for a while snuggling up in the hay. then she will sit and think about laying for a while, and THEN lay an egg.

8. yoshi xii

Aug 25, 2007
    o okay well i built them a little nest box today and well they don't sleep in it

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, just use some old drawers from a cupboard or desk and place something over that or have a sheet of wood leaning against a wall with the box in there..
    cardboard boxes are fine too, all they want is privacy and protection from the elements, good luck.

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Quote:Love the Irony of your box.
    That's how me and Colleen feel about our eggs too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by