Hey!!! Quit buying chicks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CARS, Apr 22, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't believe how many people are getting into chickens this year. I've talked to numerous hatcheries and feed stores and everyone keeps running out of chicks. STOP IT [​IMG]

I keep getting my order pushed back or canceled all together. I blame it all on you guys. I guess I will just have to wait till mid summer to get my new layers because all I can get now is roos.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The couple that own our local feed store said that people are buying them like crazy and raising their own, instead of re-selling, they are keeping them. So now there is a shortage of chicks. Who'd a thunk it?

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We only have small, locally owned feed stores...nothing like TSC or Farm & Fleet. Our feed stores have been out of chicks for at least a month, only have chicks that people pre-ordered in January. One feed store will not even place orders until after Easter, to avoid the "buy a chick for the Easter basket" and they were told by Privett that they won't have more chicks available until at least the middle of June...and this is just the middle of April.

4. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I can't give mine away. Must not be a big demand everywhere.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    To bad you aren't closer to me. I have some Welsummers for sale right now.

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh dear, there is really only one solution. You need to hatch your own! Way more fun then buying already hatched chicks.

--confessions of a hatchaholic

7. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Our local feed store hasn't had any chicks in stock this year![​IMG] I just had a couple come by yesterday that bought all my 3 week old chicks. All I have now are some packing peanut roos for sale and some BO chicks from my hatch this past weekend. And I need to raise some of these to add to my own flock. I'm surprised at the demand around here also. Good thing the 'bator is getting filled again either tonight or tomorrow am![​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You know you want to. [​IMG]

9. RIVERRAT

RIVERRAT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    WASHINGTONBORO
    i was at roots action on tuesday they had over 600 chicks to sell.
    didnt stick around for prices. but i know a guy bought meat bird chicks week before for .50 ea

10. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by