Hey Seattleites! When to move chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pug Momma, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    I've got my three ladies already spending time outside during the day in their "interim coup" while I was finishing the big coop. Now it looks like it is mostly done, and I'm wondering when other people who live in Seattle (or anywhere else similar in temp/weather) are moving their chicks outside. Mine are about 7 weeks old. And looking bored at night in their inside coup. Even though it is pretty spacious.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. RGEISENDORF

RGEISENDORF Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Sedro-Woolley, WA
    I turned the light off on mine at around 4-5 weeks and they are in an outside coop. Their door is a screen door so it is pretty cool at night. They have shavings and straw and are all sleeping together in one nesting box at night (seven of them) soooo cute. They are about 6-7 weeks now. Rebecca in Sedro-Woolley (60 miles north of you)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I live in Gig Harbor area. I moved mine outside 5 days ago and they are loving it. I keep a heat lamp outside for night time, but dont think they really need it. It seems to make me feel better prob more so than them. I am going to move my 5-6 weekers outside at the end of the week too, once I get the other coop built. Happy Happy birds and Happy husband too since the house was starting to smell like a chicken coop. We had 56 of em in the house in the basement, too much dust and too much smell for him.[​IMG]

4. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    Wow - thanks so much for the great replies you two!
    You know, the more that I think about it, the more that I realize I probably put them inside because I get chilled at night - not so much them. I like the mental image of the chicks all sleeping together in one nest box.
    My ladies are so funny - they all range together - when one eats, they all do. When one sleeps, they all do. My husband and I just watch them and laugh! He still pretends like he hates them, but is always the first person to ask me if we should bring them in because it is too cold out. Such A Softy.
    I'll put the netting over the run tonight and put them out there for their first night in the coop.
    It's a big day!

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I put mine out with a heat lamp at 5 weeks. They are loving it outside and we get a lot of rain here on the coast!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by