Hey, Southerners - got dumplings?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickiebaby, Aug 2, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Actually, I will take anyone's recipes - I'm looking for corn or cornmeal dumpling recipes, especially.

Was tempted to post this under the category of "feeding time" hmnnn.

2. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:My grandmother used to make a flat dumpling with rolled out biscuit dough that she cut into strips and dropped into boiling broth. I can NOT make these like she did. My dumplings fall apart. So, I end up making the tiny round dumplings. For some reason these are easier for me.

I don't have any recipe for conrmeal dumplings. Sorry. I've never had cornmeal dumplings but maybe they aren't common in NC. I've found that different states in the south do differ a bit in what food is considered 'southern'.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Thought you'd get some more replies here. [​IMG]

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Found a couple in the search engines:

Baked Cornmeal Dumplings
    Taste of Home - try a FREE ISSUE today!

From Grace Yaskovic of Branchville, New Jersey, these big golden dumplings are delicious with stew or any type of dish with gravy.

SERVINGS: 6

CATEGORY: Side Dish

METHOD: Baked

TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup cornmeal
    3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 quart chicken broth
    Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
    Directions:
    In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Bring broth to a boil; carefully transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Drop batter in six mounds onto broth.
    Cover and bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while baking). Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

Cornmeal Dumplings

1/2 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter
    1/2 cup milk
    For dumplings: Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt; cut in butter with pastry blender or a fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and stir. Drop onto hot stew.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I've never even heard of cornmeal dumplings, and I was born and raised here.

Are you sure its a southern recipe?

6. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:I've never even heard of cornmeal dumplings, and I was born and raised here.

Are you sure its a southern recipe?

The recipe that was quoted by cthrash is from New Jersey.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  7. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    My favorite recipe from Tyler Florence...it does take some time with roasting time...but I have NEVER had another this good. The dumpling gets all flaky in the center like a biscuit and nice and slippery on the outside. VERY buttery...and YUMMY!!

Roasted Chicken:
    1 (3-pound) whole chicken
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
    1 lemon, halved and juiced; halves reserved
    1/4-cup fresh chopped herbs, such as thyme, parsley and rosemary
    1 onion, halved
    4 garlic cloves, smashed
    Fresh whole herbs, such as rosemary, thyme and parsley sprigs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the neck and giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken under cold water, inside and out. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Season the body and cavity of the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
    In a small bowl, mash together the butter, lemon juice, and chopped herbs. Rub the herbed butter all over the chicken, as well as under the skin. Put the lemon halves, onion, garlic, and whole herbs inside the chicken cavity, for added flavor. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Place the chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan fitted with a rack. Roast for 1 hour until the meat is no longer pink. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding the skin and set aside. Reserve the bones for chicken stock.

Chicken Stock:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 carrots, cut in large chunks
    2 celery stalks, cut in large chunks
    1 onion, halved
    1 garlic bulb, halved
    Reserved chicken bones
    2 quarts cold water
    4 sprigs fresh parsley
    4 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 bay leaves

To prepare the stock, coat a large stockpot with olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the vegetables and saute for 3 minutes. Add the reserved chicken bones, water, and herbs; simmer for 1 hour. Strain the stock to remove the solids and set aside.

Dumplings:
    2 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk

To prepare the dumplings: sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk together; pour the liquid in the dry ingredients and gently fold. Mix just until the dough comes together, the batter should be thick and cake-like.

Supreme Sauce:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 tablespoon flour
    1/2 cup diced carrot
    1/2 cup diced celery
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup flour
    6 cups chicken stock
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
    Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

To prepare Supreme Sauce: In a Dutch oven, melt butter and heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Saute until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Continue to stir and cook for 2 minutes to coat the flour and remove the starchy taste. Slowly pour in the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
    Let sauce simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Stir in heavy cream.
    Fold the reserved shredded chicken into the sauce and bring up to a simmer. Using 2 spoons, carefully drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dumpling batter into the hot mixture. The dumplings should cover the top of the sauce, but should not be touching or crowded. Let the dumplings poach for 10 to 15 minutes until they are firm and puffy. Season with freshly cracked black pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.

8. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Quote:This is exactly how my mom makes dumplings. I have never tried. I know I can't make her biscuits so I know I wouldn't be able to make her dumplings. She was born and has always lived in southeastern West Virginia. Her dumplings are my brother's favorite food.

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:I’m a Cajun who married a Texan and have lived in Texas for 35 years…I’ve never heard of a cornmeal dumpling either.

I make the little round dumplings as well; they are what my family prefers.

10. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

100% southerner here and I have to say that I have never heard of cornmeal dumplings. I do have an easy chicken and dumplin recipe that anyone(even a non-southerner)could make if you are interested. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by