Hey! Texas transplants to Kansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MoLT, Jul 23, 2013.

1. MoLT

MoLT Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Hello Everyone!, I've checked out BYC in the past, but since I moved to south central Kansas from Houston I figured I better join in to learn new things about chicken keeping in colder climates. My two girls are three years old and moved from Houston with me. One is a RIR and the other an Austrlope, and so far so good, but now we need to add to our family. Problem is, I have no idea where to get any chicks. Would anyone have any suggestions? Wichita is the closest large city to me. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from a fellow Kansas, MoLT, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I always enjoy seeing Kansas folk on the boards! Where to get chicks? I always get mine from the larger and more reputable hatcheries...I've ordered from Murray McMurray in Iowa, Meyer in Ohio, and Ideal Poultry in Texas and had great success. Chicks really travel pretty well through the mail. I wish you all the luck in the world!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Go to "where am I, where are you," to locate your state thread and post there. You will likely find other chickeners who live in your area - they may even have chicks for sale.

5. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Chirping

Jul 19, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to BYC Molt. I have traveled a lot of the same roads as you have. Lived North of Dallas for 3 years and grew up in Kansas. I'm in Indy now but I remember my first grade teacher was part of a family owned hatchery outside of Enterprise Kansas called Stirtz Hatchery. We went on a field trip and I bought my first chicken for about 25 cents. [​IMG] Of course that was close to 45 years ago. Anyway, I Googled it and it looks like it is still there. Probably a two hour drive from Wichita. There is probably something closer but that's the only one I know of. Good luck expanding your flock.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. MoLT

MoLT Hatching

Jul 23, 2013
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and early tips. What a great bunch y'all are!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You can also try Craigslist, good luck on your search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: