Hey there everyone!

mstrader5

Chirping
May 12, 2015

My name is Melany Strader. I have a wonderful husband named Eric, a daughter (9) named Sydney and a son (6) named David. We are from Ruffin, NC (not far from Greensboro) and have 11 baby chicks. My mom built us a coop for the chickens and we are going to put the fence up tonight. This is the first time we have raised chickens and the kids love them!

Our chicks are currently 5 weeks old and growing fast! We bought them from Tractor Supply and they are Bantams. Only one looks like it may be a Silkie, not sure yet. That is also the one the kids named Chicken Little, but it is twice the size of the others.

We found BYC as we were researching different topics on raising chickens and I come here daily!

We have one female lab/schnauzer mix, three indoor cats and 11 chickens! We have 2 acres in the middle of 300 and our house is almost one mile of the dead end road we live on.

Looking forward to meeting others!

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!! Feel free to ask any questions you have, and we will be happy to help!! This place is a great way to learn to to care for chickens (and much more!).

Hi :welcome Melany

Glad you could join the flock! What a great looking coop you have there!! It really sounds like you are enjoying your new chicken adventures. Raising chicks is a very rewarding experience and something I enjoy very much. I'm sure your children are really enjoying this chicken keeping. It's great for them and gets them lots of fresh air. You could post some pics in the what breed gender section of the forum for help on identifying your bantams. Here is the link > https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Nice intro! VERY nice coop you have. I'm sure you chickens will enjoy living in such a fine place. And it won't be long until they are since they grow so fast! Good luck with them along your other animals. Feel free to ask any questions. Glad you joined our flock
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom