1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey there! from a small town in Ohio!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by koopkeeper63, Aug 2, 2016.

1. koopkeeper63

koopkeeper63 New Egg

Aug 2, 2016
    I am new on BYC. I have been creeping this site for a few weeks and have found tons of good stuff! I am a new flock owner as of June 6. I have 2 ISA Browns, 2 Barred Rock, and 4 RIR. They are coming upon 10 weeks old. I am having the time of my life with them. LOL

They have a decent sized coop and run, but I would love to see them free-range. Call me "chicken little" but I'm concerned about them coming back into their coop/run. They do go into their coop every evening at dusk on their own, but will they still do so if I allow them to free-range.

Also, the neighbor has cats. Would my chickens be able to protect themselves?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG]

It sounds like they've already learned that the coop is their home, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to make sure, you can throw a little scratch or another treat in the run when you want them to go back inside until they've definitely established the habit.

Cat's aren't usually a problem for older, standard size chickens, but they can be a problem for very small chickens and growing chicks. You have some larger breeds, so when they are adults, you shouldn't have to worry about it. However, they might pose a larger threat now, so you will want to be a little more careful than when they're older and will be able to defend themselves better.

Thanks for joining us and good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, koopkeeper63, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. I agree with the above advice regarding cats. Good luck to you!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I would keep all eyes on the cats unless you have dogs to chase them off.

6. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Welcome [​IMG]and enjoy the great community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by