Hey there from Central Texas

mesquiteman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
San Marcos, TX
Hello there!

I am a new chicken owner from San Marcos, TX. My wife and I decided to get some chickens so that our 8 year old daughter could learn a little animal husbandry and of course for the eggs. We live on 22 acres so we are privileged to have as many chickens as we want!

We got our chicks from a local breeder about 6 weeks ago. Most of them were 3-4 weeks old. We have 1 Cream Legbar Rooster and the reminder are pullets: 2 Cream Legbars, 1 Blue Andalusian, 1 Blue Copper Marans, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex, and one Swedish Flower Hen. We hope to add 4 or 5 more.

For a coop, I was going to build one myself as I am a professional woodworker and carpenter but I was looking through Craigslist and found a really neat coop and run for sale. My wife really liked it so I bought it and moved it here. I paid about what it would have cost me for just the materials and I did not have to spend the time building it! It is made really well and is 8x8 with an attached 8x12 run. The coop is made from cedar with a metal roof and the run is cedar with 1/2" hardware cloth and a metal roof as well. I my professional woodworking opinion, it is very well built!

Anyway, we are looking forward to learning more about chickens as we go along!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were raised in Texas and have visited San Marcos a number of times. We love the Aquarina Springs with the glass bottom boats there. You have a beautiful mix of breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Howdy and welcome to BYC. If you add more chickens you may need a larger coop or run. Rule of them is 4 sq.feet per bird inside the coop and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run.

You picked some lovely breeds.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were raised in Texas and have visited San Marcos a number of times. We love the Aquarina Springs with the glass bottom boats there. You have a beautiful mix of breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Unfortunately, Aquarena Springs is no longer! It kind of lost appeal as a tourist attraction due to the owners letting it run down so the local University bought it all. They removed all the cool stuff such as the submarine theater with Ralph the swimming pig, the sky cars, and most everything else. They still have glass bottom boats, though. They have turned it into an environmental center now. I do miss the old days!

Unfortunately, Aquarena Springs is no longer! It kind of lost appeal as a tourist attraction due to the owners letting it run down so the local University bought it all. They removed all the cool stuff such as the submarine theater with Ralph the swimming pig, the sky cars, and most everything else. They still have glass bottom boats, though. They have turned it into an environmental center now. I do miss the old days!

That's too bad. I know what you mean by missing the old days. :eek:(

If you add more chickens you may need a larger coop or run. Rule of them is 4 sq.feet per bird inside the coop and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run.
Thanks for the heads up. I have been paying attention to the area quite closely. My coop is 8x8 so that would allow 16 birds by your ratio inside. The run is 8x12 so that would allow 9.6 birds by your ratio. I have seen folks also suggest 8 sf per bird which would allow more. I have a separate 8x10 run that I got with the deal but not sure if i can incorporate it where it all sits now. Once the birds get a little older, I plan to let them free range part time.

Again, thanks for the insight and suggestions!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! That coop sounds like a good buy!

Back
Top Bottom