1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey there from Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickieMomma2Be, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ChickieMomma2Be

ChickieMomma2Be Out Of The Brooder

Hi!! I originally found this website a few years ago, DH & I were interested, but was not anywhere near a viable option at the time.
    Here recently though, My FIL has relelneted and says that we can have chickens, as long as I don't try to free range them. He's convinced they'll eat ALL of the grass (5 acres?, really?) (He's really obsessed w/ the grass thing, we weren't allowed to keep a sandbox for my then 3 yo DD cause it would kill the grass.)
    So, what originally started as a plan to get a few chickens (4-6 RIR) to keep us in eggs and maybe a few extra to sell every now and then, blew up on me. LOL (Nothing like that ever happens to any of you, right?)
    First I realise that I'd have to get chicks in "bulk" per say (min order 15), so DH says lets get 10 hens.
    OK I can deal w/ that, get 10 females and 5 males, pick my fave rooster, cull the rest and either hope one of the females eventually goes broody or get a few new chicks every so often to freshen the stock.
    So, while I'm off looking at coop designs and pondering the possiblity of needing to fork out the cash for a incubator or to get a couple chicks of a different breed that might brood for me, DH decides he wants to "help" pick who our brooder "might" be. LOL
    Spent 2 days going over pics and stats of different breeds, he decides he wants 10 Light sussex along w/ a cock so we can keep them going w/o having to buy more later.
    So...
    Now I'm Looking at bulding 2 coops and 2 runs for 2 completely different flocks and I've barely even gotten started.
    Sigh...
    Wish me luck!!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] gotta love that chicken math

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hi! Good luck!

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC and Good Luck!

On the off chance that some of your flock get to peck at your FIL's prized lawn, you might want to keep tabs on what, if any, herbicides or pesticides he may be applying.

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad you joined us today! Happy New Years'! [​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Hopefully the fresh eggs will get the girls on your FILs good side. Good point from petrel about being sure to check what he is using on his lawn before giving the chickens any clippings etc.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

9. ChickieMomma2Be

ChickieMomma2Be Out Of The Brooder

Yeah, I'm talking to DH about cordoning off the section we're going to be using.
    I've managed to get MIL to stop using fire any poison a few months back, how long will it be till that stuff's no longer a danger to my future flocks?
    And is there anything I can use to control them for now and after they get here?
    Tried the grits thing, the ants in my yard are not big fans of it, though. They relocated all of it far away from their nests.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your pending poultry project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by