Hey there from Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mixitup, Apr 10, 2012.

1. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi everyone. While not totally new to chickens, I'm just foraying into the unchartered territory (for me) if specific chicken breeds. I found this site while looking for chicken tractor designs that I could alter for my personal situation. Some great designs by the way. I will be looking for some meat chickens, but for that it looks like I may have to go with a farm supply place. The guy that I was going to get some from had a couple of bad batches and one nasty rooster. I am getting a trio of Brahmas in a couple of weeks and a couple of Euskal Oiloased. I'd like some easter eggers and some Wheatons. I am super busy with my own grooming shop in the am, a full time job from 3-11 and I breed and show Basenji's as well. Add to that my daughter had to move back in with me with her son, so you can imagine the household!! Hope to learn and see lots on this site. Oh, and I am waitin on some muscovy's.

2. duke692008

duke692008 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    being your up in canada where i assum is colder than where i'm at,do your chickens stay outside in a coop or are they more of a pet living inside the house thing?the reason i'm asking is its a little colder up here in indiana compared to north carolina where i'm from and i been looking fer chickens that are more cold hardy than anything.and as far as i can tell cold hardy chickens are not as prevolent in getting as the warmer weather ones.i really really want a golden phoenix to maybe show in the future but i'm reading that they do not do well in the cold unfortunately.but there again i got lots to learn before i try my hand at showing chickens but its a thought and a small ambition i'm having.

3. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Big misconception. Yes, we have cold winters-our birds are housed in a barn, shed, or structure. We had a heat lamp and all of mine have always done great-laid all winter with no slowing down until it got about -10 and over. But, they still laid their eggs! Our summers range from 80 degrees to over 95 most days, with 100% humidity! So we go from one extreme to the other. There are a lot of breeds that are more cold hardy. There are even some that have been developed specifically for the cold.

We do have a bunch of people who raise golden phoenix, just have to make sure you house them with a heat lamp in the colder months. I don't know much about them, but I do know people who raise various birds up here.

4. duke692008

duke692008 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    ahhh ok then thank you for the information.i'm glad to know that it is very possible and a reality that i can raise one or three here lol.and i didn't mean that it was north pole weather up there just figured it was colder than here ;).the coop i'm building will be by no means ready fer winter right now.i'm kind of rushing things a bit because my chicks are growing like weeds and i love them but not to much as i want them in the house full grown lol.it will be a work in progress but completed to the specs i want by winter fer sure.the coop fer now will have the basics that they need to be happy aka roosting posts,plenty of room,nesting boxes,food,water,etc,etc.in other words they will be happy but i myself will not be til;l its exactly the way i want.the thing i'm doing today is the power supply to the coop in the barn.its pretty old and atm there is a fire hazard...at least i feel there is so all the old decrepid wiring is coming out and new stuff that i'm comfortable with is going in.the barn is over a 100 years old and its really beautiful to look at especially if you like the way things were constructed in those times.theres not one nail in the original skeleton of the building,all mortis joints and wooden pegs....so the last thing i want is a fire to kill my chickens much less the historical value of the barn.but anyway again thank you and i hope you win the next show...peace be with you!

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. nicolets

nicolets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Monroe County, PA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi & Welcome!!
    [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I just hatched 2 dozen Euskal Oiloa - they are supposed to be great chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by