Hey there, here's my first post! Plus a vid of my new coop and birds!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speltier, Jan 25, 2009.

1. speltier

speltier Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Berkeley, Califonia
    I just finished editing a video to send to my father about my new chicken set-up. I like the result and thought I'd share it with you all. Here goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74R9NyGUbL8
    Watch
    it in 'high quality', which you select just to the bottom left of the frame.

I wish I'd discovered this board sooner, but here I am. I think I'm doing alright. Let me know what you think!

Best,
    Ash in the East Bay

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Cool! That's a serious chicken compound - thanks! [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    cool!..i just showed my hubby the nest box idea....awesome!..[​IMG]..and cute kiddo also!...[​IMG] welcome to BYC! , Wendy

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We have so many creative folks here who are members, I am amazed every day.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG]

That nest box idea is amazing! I just might do that on the new coops I am going to be building. Thanks for sharing.

6. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] that is quite a pen you have there. I wish mine looked cool. It is just boring dog kennels. Make sure you watch out for predators though and lock them up at night. I had 2x4" wire fencing and critters kept digging under it, but fortunately I had mine locked up safe in the coop at night. So I moved them into the kennels with wire under the bottom aka "Fort Chicken" [​IMG]

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, great video and excellent coop!

So, are you "East Bay" like SF EB? If so, we're neighbors!

Do you have coons in your area? If so, keep an eye on things. Rumor has it they will rip through chickenwire.

8. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    THAT IS SO COOL!! DID YOU BUILD THE GEODESIC DOME YOURSELF? AND, [​IMG]

9. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    [​IMG] from MO [​IMG]

Loved the vid!!

10. speltier

speltier Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Berkeley, Califonia
    Thanks for all the great feedback and welcome!
    I have a 3' skirt of 1" net on the ground around the perimeter, and buried in compost. There's also 1" net up the first three feet, and that over 2" over the rest. I had a huge retail hawk sitting on the dome the other morning... my girls wouldn't come out till I went and showed them the 'all clear'.

Raccoons... yep, there's a veritable jungle right around my digs, so I relocated a family of 'coons to the hills. I trapped four of them in 24 hours. I've also trapped a couple of rats, though I'm less worried about them now that my silky banties are a little bigger.

I'm so charmed by these beautiful animals.
    I have one with conjunctivitis, and I'm expecting my terramycin ointment in the mail tomorrow. Other than that, and since I've been treating for the sneezes for a few days (and a few more to come) everyone seems just great. Most are even starting to settle down when I grab 'em and hold them.

Yep, SF EB indeed. [​IMG] Howdy neighbor. Thanks for the welcome, BYC, glad I'm not alone... I feel a little crazy for my sudden new passion. Coopy.

Best,
    Ash

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by