Hey there, I'm Gen

kobe519

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Tillamook Oregon
Hey there, I'm Gen and new to the site. I had 40 chickens but eagles have taken 9 in past few weeks. So if anyone knows tricks to let my girls go back out to free range safely it would be welcomed. I live on the coast in Oregon and I own a horse boarding stable and deliver mail and about 20 hours a month I work for the state as a livestock inspector. It's great to be here.

Last edited:
ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Welcome! The only thing I have for chicken hawks are my Great Pyrenees. They work really well and scare off the hawks. An eagle may be a little bigger than a hawk tho!!

I keep dogs out with the flock but still have them taken. I've heard stories that if you place coyote cutouts in yard they will stay away but my thinking is they will notice it's not live and chickens aren't scared of them. Also heard about hanging CDs in trees around property but we don't have trees. We just have open flat pasture land. There aren't even bushes for them to run under when eagles come. We are working on better landscaping but cash flow is really tight at the moment.

I keep dogs out with the flock but still have them taken. I've heard stories that if you place coyote cutouts in yard they will stay away but my thinking is they will notice it's not live and chickens aren't scared of them. Also heard about hanging CDs in trees around property but we don't have trees. We just have open flat pasture land. There aren't even bushes for them to run under when eagles come. We are working on better landscaping but cash flow is really tight at the moment.
Wow! Good Luck

Greetings from Kansas, Gen, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! Glad I don't have eagles to contend with! I think maybe luring your birds outside with treats might work. I like the big dog approach more than the shotgun approach. Can't imagine the fine for shooting an eagle...but it's gotta be steep. Might work just to scare them. Good luck to you. You might try the Predators thread below to see if others have had eagle problems. Good luck to you!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. I am having the same problem with hawks. Have taken 2 of my hens away from hawks (both lived) in the past couple of months. Finally had to just cover my runs :( and that wasnt cheap or easy! Best of luck to you. Sorry for your losses

Back
Top Bottom