Hey there! new to the site, any Urban backyard farmers too?

1651148-0d831e6d52f44f8dc45ae552dbe35f48.gif

Good luck setting everything up! We have a gardening thread, hope to see you there. Here's a link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/page-1762

Welcome to BYC. Much like you, I live in an area with a small yard. I have 4 hens although I did go through a period of time with an accidental rooster, he is no longer with us. All of my neighbors but one loved him. I did not like him much either frankly.

I have started journaling our time with the hens on my thread listed below. Please feel free to check it out.

My hens are pets, as evidenced by Lilly's trip to have her picture taken with Santa last weekend. If your planning on pet hens you will not be disappointed as long as you spend time with them.

View attachment 1978795
:lau Santa doesn't look so jolly in that photo! :lau

Now that takes the cake (so to speak). I would never have thought of such a thing. I'm continually amazed by human creativity. And I think chickens would agree.

It was bring your pet for a photo with Santa day at tractor supply so we went for it. I tell the whole story on my thread. It was a lot of fun for us and Lilly.

My hens are pets, as evidenced by Lilly's trip to have her picture taken with Santa last weekend. If

That seriously reminds me of the time I took my goat in my subcompact car, and stopped at a McDonalds drive-through to get breakfast. I ordered a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit with a side of hay. The order taker was like 'What?!'. I said "You'll see when I drive around." With her head poking out of the backseat window, they got a kick out of that.

Welcome. For 4 hens you will need a 16 sq ft coop (at least), a 40 sq ft run (at least), and make certain to buy a breed that can be sexed at birth so there's minimal chance of getting a rooster.
WELCOME!:welcome How exciting it is to be starting your first flock!

The coop comes BEFORE the babies! @HenOnAJuneBug is right. You need those dimensions for 4 birds no matter what style coop you settle on. Just remember that the 16 square feet [4x4] inside the coop is walkabout space, nests are not included. If you are able keep in mind that bigger is better.

You do not need to heat the coop. People in Canada and Alaska can attest to this. What you do need is no drafts but plenty of ventilation. As you research coops you should find more information on ventilation. If not, just ask!

Water and food should be in the run, not the coop. Food will attract critters and should be collected and brought indoors to the house or garage every night. Water evaporates causing moisture inside a coop which is a big no no. Again, 40sqft ( 4x10 or 5x8 works) is for a run but bigger is better if you are able.

Please, don't get a prefab. They aren't worth the money even when on sale and they lie about how many chickens it will hold. Take it from one who started exactly like you but without doing enough research. Sooo mannny mistakes.

Finally the chickens. Sooo mannny breeds! If you buy them at Tractor Supply you stand a very super good chance of not getting the breed or gender you are looking for. Stick with an actual hatchery or local breeder. Online hatcheries usually sell chicks in minimal orders usually more than 4. Heat tolerant birds are good in hot arid areas like Texas and Arizona. You want cold hardy I would think. You don't need a rooster since you only can have 4 chickens. A rooster won't give you eggs, will give you lots more chickens which you don't need, and make a lot of very loud noise! Sexlinks (baby chicks genders are obvious at hatching) are a good idea so you are pretty much guaranteed to get all pullets (female chickens less than 1 year old). You said you want good producers. May I suggest the breed called 55 Flower? Cold hardy, sexlink, and heavy egg producers. They would be a good starting flock for a novice.

Ask tons of questions here. And don't forget pictures of your progress! We love pictures of birds and coops!:wee

Back
Top Bottom