1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey there, new to this site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BenderFarms, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BenderFarms

BenderFarms New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Martinez, CA
    Hi,

I am new to this site and my family is planning on getting chickens next spring.

Does anybody have any tips and suggestions for ordering baby chicks online? Sites you recommend.

I normally would never buy a pet online but I hear that with chickens it's a pretty common practice.

Thanks!
    Crystal

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Crystal, and :welcome. Happy you joined us. Yes, chickens through the mail is quite common - and the only way to go unless you hatch your own, go to a farm & ranch store that sells chicks, or live near a breeder or hatchery. Here's a link to some breeders and hatcheries.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries
    I have had great success with accurate sexing and nearly 100% survival with Murray McMurray out of Iowa, Cackle Hatchery from Missouri, and Ideal Poultry in Texas. There are no doubt hatcheries in California or a surrounding state.
    As you have until spring before you get your birds, I'd recommend reading up in the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Do so and you will be well prepared when the chicks arrive. Good luck and enjoy the adventure! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I got my chicks through my pet chicken. The site says that it is uncommon to have any losses, but last winter a friend ordered her girls when the wether was cold and many of them died due to the weather, so I would not recommend ordering them during those cold days.

I ordered mine on June 20th and every single one came happy and healthy, exactly on the expected day.
    It's really common to get chicks through the mail, and I even recommend it. There are hatcheries I know of other than my pet chicken; Greenfire farms, Cackle hatchery, Meyer hatchery and a couple others.

Just something I learned, is that they don't ship them with food or water because when the chicks hatch that have a yolk sack still attached to their breast/stomach (sorry I don't know which) and they can live on the sack for 3-4 days. But make sure that when you get them you immedeitly give them access to fresh water, food and a 95 degree temperature.

I am also new to BYC, and the short time I have been on I love it! Hope you also find it useful. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC. It's great to have you!

Yes, with chickens it is quite common to mail order chicks so you can be sure to get the exact breeds and sexes you want. Personally, I would recommend Cackle Hatchery. Out of the thousand or so hatchery birds I've worked with from four or five different hatcheries, Cackle's are always my favorites. Big, healthy, and relatively true to breed standards given that they are hatchery stock. My biggest complaint about them so far has been that their Naked Necks are kind of boring colors. :lol: Seriously, that's it. A++ birds.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. BenderFarms

BenderFarms New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Martinez, CA

8. BenderFarms

BenderFarms New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Martinez, CA

Hey Kansas! Wow, thank you so much for all the information! I'll check out your links as well. Thank you so much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by