Hey There!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wingitman, Feb 11, 2016.

1. wingitman

wingitman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    New to the site, very excited with my new chickens...I like to have some variety in my coop, so I've got Wyandottes, Hamburg, isa browns, and Orpington. So far I'm loving the Orpington and Wyandottes...more so the Orpington cos it was the only one that went Broody on me ;) Aaaand....I've also managed to slip so quail eggs under her, I hope I didn't do a bad thing but i'm really trying to breed quails and they do such a poor job at that on their own! :(

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your birds! Sounds like you definitely have a nice variety of birds on your hands. Orpingtons are my favorite breed. I have three orp hens and I just adore them.

I would definitely check out our quail forum as well as our learning center where you will find tons of helpful info. And feel free to ask any questions you may have.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] welcome and congrats on your new flock.

Hope the hatching goes well. You should post under the hatching and quail forums to get some advice on separation from the flock and how to tend the hatchlings if successful.

4. wingitman

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome! I have heard of people using bantam hens to succesfully hatch quail eggs. Not sure about using Orpington but wont hurt to try I guess. Will check out the other forum also! Thanks

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Orps are generally a broody breed so as long as your hen is serious about being broody, you should have some quail on your hands soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - sounds like you have a nice flock. Good luck with your quail hatching and let us know how it goes!

Cheers
    CT

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Good luck in hatching those quail eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. wingitman

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks guys, ill be sure to keep you posted on how it all turns out. I only put 6 quail eggs at the same time as other chicken eggs. Not sure whats going to happen as the quail eggs hatch earlier...gulp

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sometimes after a few chicks are hatched, the broody abandons the other eggs. If you have an incubator it would be good to keep it at the ready, in case this happens.

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope things go well with your broody and eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by