Hey there

Mariposa227

Hatching
Apr 19, 2017
Hey there,
I always end up coming to this site so I finally decided to join haha
I've currently got 3 ducks and two chickens. I do have a question but I'm currently in the process of finding the right forum to post it in lol
Have a nice day :)

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

If you give us the question, we'll help guide you to the best forum to get an answer.

Welcome to BYC Its great you have joined us here. We can also help in directing you to the correct forum you need. We maybe able to even answer your question for you. So don't be afraid to ask. Again welcome and hope to chat with you sometime soon again.

Wow, thanks for making me feel so welcome. It's great to see such a kind community
Question:
I forgot to lock my birds away when I briefly went out and came home to find that my puppy had attacked both the ducks and the chickens. Thankfully there was no fatalities, however, I have a few injured birds.
1. What would be recommended to put on where the feathers have been ripped out? There's no gaping wounds or anything, just bald patches. However, I'm still concerned about infection
2. My Pekin's wings aren't sitting properly. Originally the left wing was drooping so I suspected it might be broken, however, later I found that the right wing was drooping instead so now i'm not so sure. I filled the bath for her and she has flapped her wings like normal so maybe it isn't as bad as i thought. Could it be that because the feathers under her wings have been ripped out so they can't sit comfortably anymore? Or just could they just be sore from the attack?

Once again, thank you so much for all your help

If the skin is intact-no bleeding-cuts and so forth I will observe for a day or so to make sure the other birds are not pecking at the bald areas. As for the droopy wings-the duck may have suffered spinal trauma and the resulting swelling is impinging on the nerve that controls a certain part of the wing function. If you are so inclined take her to an avian vet for radiographs and treatment. Otherwise keep her quiet and observe for a few days. You are correct that muscle pain may be causing her to her posture. Some folks will prescribe aspirin and so forth but I usually recommend rest and leave the prescribing up to the veterinarian. Good luck! And keep the pup away from the fowl!

Back
Top Bottom