HEY TURKEY FOLKS!! hOW TALL ARE THE TURKEY CHICKS???

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by MrsSmitho, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MrsSmitho

MrsSmitho Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    E. Tx.
    Hey you guys!!
    So, anybody ever measured the height of your turkey babes during different stages of adolescence???

Looking to build a brooder and want to be able to make it good for turkey babes...and may want to make it good for them (just a couple to a few at a time) to hang out till 7 wks old.

Most brooders look about 18 inches tall...do I need taller for turkeys???

DH building the bottom this morning...yes, last minute question, sorry!

Thanks for any help on this!!!
    Kim

2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    7 week old turkeys are going to need a lot of space. Turkeys grow very quickly. They are getting pretty good sized at 7 weeks. I would build it tall so you can adjust the height of the heat lamps as the turkey grow.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My turkey chicks at 7 weeks would've needed about a 10-12" height to be comfortable. However, to give them some headroom, 18" would be needed.

You'll love them!

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Turkey "chicks" do not grow.[​IMG] Sorry, had to throw that in there. Turkey "poults" will get decent size. I have used one of the metal brooders in the past. To accomidate the turkeys, I screwed on 12" 2x4's on the legs. This raised it up a foot. That way if I wanted to use it for chickens later on I would just remove the 2x4's.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    These Beltsville poults are just a couple days or so old.

[​IMG]

They are about 4 inches high, our inside brooders are 18 inches high, the ones in the brooder barn are 36 inches and that is plenty high enough until they can go outside. Also, think about a cover for it, as soon as they start to feather they can jump/fly/flap higher than you think.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by