Hey- where can I get chicks in New Mexico?

Dec 8, 2019
Valencia County, New Mexico
I’ve been wanting to get a fresh batch of chicks for spring! Problem is, I don’t know where... chick fever has me possessed! Can someone either sell me some chicks, or tell me where I can get some now? I don’t want to order so, please don’t recommend hatcheries.

I live in Rio Rancho NM and they currently have chicks at Corrales village mercantile. Most feed stores will have them in the next couple weeks as well.

Village Mercantile certainly does have chicks in stock but be vigilant in checking the quality and health, some people I know who bought some chicks from them a few days ago discovered a buff orpington chick with a deformed beak. Tractor Supply should be getting their chicks in next week. You can also check craigslist as I've seen private breeders start to put up their personal stock for sale (equal caution and good judgement should be used to assure quality and health). I know you said you weren't interested in hatcheries but there is a well known hatchery located in New Mexico called Privett Hatchery where you can order over the phone a greater variety of chicks than you can find in the feed stores (since it's in state shipping is really cheap and quick).

You might want to also ask in your states thread if anyone there near you has recently hatched out some chick's.
I live in Albuquerque NM and have a flock of hens with a Barnevlder/Americana mix rooster if @KiwiandPeachthePigeons doesn't mind mixed breeds or hatching eggs lol. Also going to be ordering some Cream Legbar chicks from Privett Hatchery and selling off a few extra pullets (since the minimum order is 25) in a month or two.

Hello everyone, I live in Albuquerque, NM. I am anew member. We would like to have backyard chickens this summer. However, we are still in the process of building our chicken coop. Does anyone have any recommendations for breeds that do well in our desert climates?

Hello everyone, I live in Albuquerque, NM. I am anew member. We would like to have backyard chickens this summer. However, we are still in the process of building our chicken coop. Does anyone have any recommendations for breeds that do well in our desert climates?
Breeds with single/straight combs, and clean (non-feathered) legs tend to do best in hot climates. That includes many popular breeds such as leghorns, barred rocks, black australorps (a great backyard breed IMO), most high-production hybrids as well as many others. However, most breeds, even without those characteristics, can tolerate our climate if you provide plenty of shade and water during the summer.

Oh yay I found some folks in New Mexico. I used to live in Socorro and my friend used to have a really nice Brahma.........I have always wanted one........anyways, I am always thinking of getting of chickens. Finally decided to do it now that we have a house of our own and some space.

Back
Top Bottom