Hey Y’all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FeatheredDinos, Nov 20, 2019.

1. FeatheredDinos

FeatheredDinos In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2019
    1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am NEW to having a chicken “flock.” I had one chicken - a white Polish for a few years whom I adored. I learned how smart chickens were from having her. Last January - I got my first “flock” of chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Let’s see... I have 13 from original flock, 7 chicks they hatched out, 3 chicks I hatched in incubator and 10 new chicks... uh ... 33 chickens

(3) What breeds do you have?
    I have Sultans, Polish; White Crested Black Polish and Gold Laced Polish, Brahma Bantam; Light and Buff, Silkies; White, Red and Black - Frizzles; White, Red and Black and Mille Fleur D’Uccles

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love their personalities, and I love that they are always working - whether laying eggs or catching insects and pests

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I write and I read a lot. I love working outside with all my birds- ducks and geese. I am a handy woman - always working on a new project to beautify or improve our farm.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My husband and I have been married for 22 years, we have Great Pyrs to guard our flocks, several cats who are always hunting for mice and moles along with 31 ducks and 3 geese who grace the ponds on our property with their beauty and charm.

We have 2 children and 8 grandchildren whom we adore.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I’ve been getting advice from BYC for years now. BYC is my go-to website for any bird question I might have. I love y’all and everything y’all do.

Mom of 33 Feathered Dinosaurs ❤️

rjohns39, N F C, feathermaid and 10 others like this.
  2. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    inCollage_20191031_061503338.jpg

rjohns39, N F C, feathermaid and 6 others like this.
  3. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    :D welcome to BYC!

rjohns39, N F C, feathermaid and 7 others like this.
  4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Sounds like you have a very cute flock!

rjohns39, N F C, feathermaid and 8 others like this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Raven steals Christmas

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You keep some fun breeds!! Lots of us lurked a while before joining BYC, so glad you are here now! Enjoy all the chicken chat. :)

rjohns39, DobieLover, N F C and 8 others like this.
  6. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    D5866993-D2D0-4837-8937-70301C6C95AE.jpeg

7. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

rjohns39, DobieLover, N F C and 7 others like this.
  8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome to the flock :welcome Nice intro, glad you decided to join us!

rjohns39, DobieLover, N F C and 6 others like this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - you personify chicken math.

rjohns39, DobieLover, N F C and 7 others like this.
  10. HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Crowing

Apr 24, 2015
    Alabama
    Hey there @FeatheredDinos and welcome! :welcome

33 is an amazing number of chickens! You have so many breeds, that's awesome! I'd love to hear more about your Polish hen you had, and how she inspired you moving forward to have an actual flock. You mentioned enjoying writing/reading- what sort of books do you enjoy reading? Do you ever write about your experiences raising chickens? (P.S. If you enjoy projects, check out BYC's sister site called Sufficient Self )

Also, CONGRATS on such a long marriage! :eek: 22 years is amazing! And all those children and grandbabies has to be awesome. Do any of the grandchildren love to help with the chickens?

So glad you found BYC and have used it as a source of help. I've received alot of advice and tips here that's really helped over the years- these folks know their stuff. I hope you continue to find great info here!

welcomeimage.png

ValerieJ, rjohns39, N F C and 6 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: