Hey ya’ll...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by UrbanLiving, Jan 11, 2018.

1. UrbanLiving

UrbanLiving In the Brooder

Jan 11, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let y’all know I’m new to the site and I’m trying to figure out how to navigate around all these wonderful questions and answers. I’m super excited to be a part of the chicken obsession!

I have been paitently waiting to raise chickens for years and I finally got my husband on board. There were many plans for the coop which kept delaying the build though my husband still wasn’t 100% he was going along with my obsession. Though we were building our own coop through recycled materials we wanted to make it with less cost or free plus doing it right and make it functionable for own living space. Build time took forever 9mo to be exact (I know, crazy right). I think my husband thought this obsession was going to go away so he was taking his sweet little time..lol.. Well the obsession didn’t go away it just got stronger and I couldn’t wait to bring “the ladies” home. We reused an old wooden playhouse that was given to us by a friend, we had to cut the height by about a foot and a half to make it work for where it was going to be placed. We used a lot of recycled or free materials that people had excess of like lumber or food container gutter, water container etc., at the end building the coop cost us about $100 just having to purchase the chicken mesh, staples corrugated roof and paint. We also have a 55gal water drum that collects water for the coop roof the give the girls fresh water all the time. We are FINALLY done with the build! WooHoo

I got my original flock 9/2016 but quickly lost them to my dogs the next month, it was a super sad day, as my husband really grew fond of them. Thankfully the breeder that I got them from had a few more chickens that made my heart feel so much better. We got 4 more pullets on 10/2016 they are all sister but 2 of them are frizzles and the other 2 are smooth. They each lay a different colored egg,
    the 2 smooth EE lay a blue and light green egg and the 2 frizzles lay a light brown and a pinkish egg. We just added 2 more chickens on 12/2017 that are about the same age and got them from my same local breeder. One is a Blue Icebar and the other is a mix breed (Cream Legbar/OE) and they are fitting in just fine.

I am loving this obsession and my family truely enjoys having “the ladies” around, my husband has come full cirlcle and enjoys them as much as I do. He even surprised me with a copper chicken weathervane and installed it on the roof.

I look forward to learning more and more about everyone’s chickens and anything chicken related.. Bring it on chicken peeps I’m ready for ya!!

2. Abriana

Abriana Mocha Frappuccino Premium Member

Apr 26, 2017
    The Swan Pond!
    Hi and welcome to BYC and to the lovely flock of chicken crazy peeps here!:welcomewe are glad to have to you here!! :yesss:

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Chickens are one obsession/addiction that never goes away. NO CURE!! :lol:

We are so glad you joined our community! Make yourself at home here and enjoy all the chicken chat! :)

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager 7 Years

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome Wagon.gif

Most of us here are obsessed with chickens! It is great that your DH likes them too

Obssive chicken disorder.jpg

5. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
  6. staceyj

staceyj Crossing the Road

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    :frowWelcome to the BYC community!
    So glad to hear that DH got on board the chicken train.:gig:lau:gig:lau:gig:lau:gig
    You're going to love being part of the gang here.

7. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)
    Thanks for sharing your story!:cool:

8. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Crowing

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    Have fun with your chickens!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great introduction = welcome to BYC.

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member 5 Years

G’Day from down under UrbanLiving :frow Welcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I am so sorry to hear of your initial losses :(

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: