Hey y'all from TN

kscheidel1985

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
Oliver Springs, TN
Hi everyone, I've had my chickens for almost 2 years now (even moved them from MI to TN with me), and never had any problems, until today. A dog got ahold of a few of my chickens and I lost one, but one is still alive and she is my favorite, so if I can save her I really want to! She won't really move, can't walk, hardly can stand, and doesn't seem like she's all there. She also has yolk coming from her bottom so I'm assuming the dog broke the egg inside of her. Is there a chance she will survive, and is there anything I can do to help her, or should I just put her out of misery? Please help me if you can! Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
sorry to hear about your chickens. im looking up some posts and links to help you along, since i cannot see the chicken to asses the extent of the injuries.

for the possible broken egg, give her a warm bath, soaking her vent for a few minutes. you might apply some olive oil to her vent for lubricant, most of the time they reabsorb the shells, its only a problem if she tries to pass them.

she is probably very tired from the fight, but inspect her throat for bleeding inside and out. look at her nostrils too, blood may show up there. watch her vent for any signs of blood discharge.

while your giving her the soak, check her over for puncture wounds and clean as good as you can, apply neosporin or blue kote as needed, do not bandage. in this case neosporin is probably a little better as it holds the wound open allowing it to drain a little longer.

if she improves over the next couple of days and eats/drinks well. give a shot of penicillin 1/2 cc for large fowl, 1/4 cc for bantams in the breast for 3 days. this will help keep her from getting any internal infections.

keep in mind there can be other internal injuries that you cannot see, if you cant save her dont be discouraged - you have done your best. I'm here along with many others if you have any more questions.

this is a PM with a vet about pain killers, just to help you along.

loveourbirds

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:04 pm
i am sorry to bother you, and not sure what information you can give legally.

A few of of have been discussing -caine pain killers and toxicity to chickens. none of us can find any good documents of research, and if you have time; we would like your input.

i may misspell one of these, but so far we have talked about lidocaine in wound washes/cleaners, benzocaine in blood stop powders, and procaine in penicillin. we are not sure what if any of the products are truly safe, and if there is safe and dangerous amounts of the pain killers.

i thank you for any time you can devote to us, as the whole group of us try to assist others with wound care.

-brian

[name blocked]
Nov 21, 2013 at 7:59 am
All medications have side effects. I know lidocaine, and assume bupivicaine etc is toxic to birds. I have read a little on meloxicam (a NSAID) for birds but haven't ever used it. I have used flunixine (banamine) and have luck with it but I mainly used it as a fever reducer. There really isn't much sensory innervation to bird skin, so the local anesthetics aren't that necessary in my opinion. I just sew them up it they need it.

Dr. James

Thanks so much you guys, I have brought her inside, soaked her in a warm bath, and looked her over. Her exterior looks great, other than the egg still coming out, and she still has troubles standing and all she wants to do is sleep. But I don't see blood anywhere! We'll keep her inside and keep an eye on her, praying she makes it!

Sounds like she is shocky - I think it would have been good just to let her be in a warm, darkened, cozy place till she comes out of it and feels secure. Then I would have bathed her and treated her. I would not have traumatized her further with prodding and poking. What's done is done.

You may want to post on "emergencies,diseases,injuries, cures, thread - please post in full detail so responders can best realize the situation. I hope she will come out of it.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
glad to have you aboard ....
Putting a chicken out, I always stay out of that one
barnie.gif

Could you please put up some photos so we can see how bad she is at the moment .....
Put up a post in the emergency forum ...........
Well tell us about her injuries what are they ........
Put her where it is warm and she can get rest and left alone ...
Clean out any puncture points and check for broken bone's ......
Please let us know about these details......
caf.gif

You need a safe coop and run
wee.gif

Merry Chris
smile.png
tmas

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom