Hey Y'all from Virginia.

Rick O Shea

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2015
Been lurking here far too long...it's time to change that. I have had chickens in the distant past and have been anxious again, as if I need another hobby. My bride and I moved to Va following retirement. The area is heavily tree'd. No shortage of roost poles here. Long story short: After buying this place, we quickly learned a new septic field was needed. Trees were cleared and a few bucks later, a system was installed 9 ft below a 5,000 sq ft area. It has recently been mud and new grass planting, but an otherwise perfect spot for a relatively small footprint coop/run. A shed was added for storage as the garage is otherwise occupied, but then that's another story. The shed will remain a shed. Great ideas, builds, thoughts and positive critiques abound here on BYC. I have learned a lot with so many like minded folks willing to share.
I know this may be contrary to the norm but, right or wrong, I think I'll build before springtime "chick days" at the local feed store. Construction has begun on a panelized and covered coop/ run with a 6x18' footprint, to include an elevated 4x6 hen house. That should be plenty of space for 8-10 layers. YES..... I know the "chicken math" rule, but have to draw the line somewhere. It will include hardware cloth screening, white washed (limed) interior, bump-out nest boxes, full covered roof, predator apron, and with a bit of luck, the option for daytime free range.
Thanks to all for some fantastic concepts and recommendations .....

past, present & future.

Regards. Rick

Nice to meet you Rick. Rule of thumb is to allow 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop (excluding nest boxes & roosts, and 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run. Crowded chickens act out by bullying, feather plucking and at extreme - cannibalism. If you climate has frequent bursts of extreme weather that would keep chickens in the coop, they need to have even more space inside.

welcome-byc.gif

Hello Rick, and welcome to Backyard Chickens from a fellow Virginian! Glad you joined us and I hope you make yourself at home here!

Back
Top Bottom