1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey Y'all from Virginia.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rick O Shea, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Rick O Shea

Rick O Shea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    Been lurking here far too long...it's time to change that. I have had chickens in the distant past and have been anxious again, as if I need another hobby. My bride and I moved to Va following retirement. The area is heavily tree'd. No shortage of roost poles here. Long story short: After buying this place, we quickly learned a new septic field was needed. Trees were cleared and a few bucks later, a system was installed 9 ft below a 5,000 sq ft area. It has recently been mud and new grass planting, but an otherwise perfect spot for a relatively small footprint coop/run. A shed was added for storage as the garage is otherwise occupied, but then that's another story. The shed will remain a shed. Great ideas, builds, thoughts and positive critiques abound here on BYC. I have learned a lot with so many like minded folks willing to share.
    I know this may be contrary to the norm but, right or wrong, I think I'll build before springtime "chick days" at the local feed store. Construction has begun on a panelized and covered coop/ run with a 6x18' footprint, to include an elevated 4x6 hen house. That should be plenty of space for 8-10 layers. YES..... I know the "chicken math" rule, but have to draw the line somewhere. It will include hardware cloth screening, white washed (limed) interior, bump-out nest boxes, full covered roof, predator apron, and with a bit of luck, the option for daytime free range.
    Thanks to all for some fantastic concepts and recommendations .....[​IMG]
    past, present & future.

Regards. Rick

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Rick, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Sounds like you have some well thought out and researched plans so you will be good to go when your spring chicks arrive! I wish you all the best! Be sure you stop by the VA thread in the following link so you can say hey to local chicken keepers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Nice sounding coop! You seem very prepared for your spring chicks!
    Have a great time on here, best wishes! [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Rick O Shea

Rick O Shea Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2015
    Thanks all ! Now I know a VA threads is out there...will certainly dig into that one.

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks good! Welcome to BYC :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Rick. Rule of thumb is to allow 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop (excluding nest boxes & roosts, and 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run. Crowded chickens act out by bullying, feather plucking and at extreme - cannibalism. If you climate has frequent bursts of extreme weather that would keep chickens in the coop, they need to have even more space inside.

[​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello Rick, and welcome to Backyard Chickens from a fellow Virginian! Glad you joined us and I hope you make yourself at home here!

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

4x8 would be better for 8-10 layers, without even accounting for chicken math. 4x6 is on the small side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by