Hey y'all, I'm from South Carolina and I'm new at this...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MaryClyde, Nov 28, 2008.

1. MaryClyde

MaryClyde New Egg

Nov 28, 2008
    Piedmont section
    I have three lovely Rhode Island Red hens, or should I call the pullets, they're 22 weeks old and two of them started laying last week... I'm thinking about getting a rooster now! I've been offered a rooster who is about a year old... he's half Golden Comet and half Black Sex Link. Do you think I'll have any problems with him? Will my hens accept him or will they fight? As I said, I've just been at this for 22 weeks so I may need a lot of advice. Thanks
    MaryClyde

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi and Welcome to BYC!

You just never know about roosters; some are great and friendly and some... definitely not.

If you take him just keep a close eye on them all for a few days to make sure he settles in Ok and be ready to remove and rehome him if things don't work out.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

If you decide to take the roo, it is best to keep them separated for awhile, a quarantine period. Then you could let them see each other and then let them together and see what happens. There will no doubt be some fighting, just keep an eye and see what you think. sometimes introducing them at night helps, when they are asleep and wake up together.

4. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey, and [​IMG]

Yep, quarantine and watch closely.

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Welcome South Carolina neighbor! [​IMG]

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Welcome to BYC

7. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Definately quarantine to make sure he is healthy and be sure to check for any lice or mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by