Hey, y'all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Iwannachicken, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Hey,

I'm Karen from Alabama and I've been thinking about getting a couple of laying hens for the past several months, ever since I saw an article about urban chickens in Countryside and Small Stock Journal.

I don't live in the city, but in an older neighborhood of suburbia. There is a family a few blocks away from me who have chickens so I don't guess there's an ordinance against it.

I have a large fenced back yard that is uneven and mostly covered with weeds. I've been looking at plans for building a "tractor". We have all kinds of critters running around in our neighborhood, from hawks to coyotes, so I'd need to build a pen that is covered. I also have a dog that had been known to eat baby birds.

So tell me, am I clucking in the wind, or should I go ahead with my plans to populate my yard with chickens?

Cheers,
    Karen

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Welcome and got for it!!![​IMG]

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

There are LOTS of folks here with ALL kinds of obstacles -- but they happily have chickens!!! [​IMG]

You will find LOTS of good info here and lots of good (and funny [​IMG]) folks!!

Just keep checking out the threads and you will be very informed!!
    [​IMG]

Cindy

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    [​IMG] and you must get some chickens!!!!! everybody needs them, we must help them take over the world!!! lol they are so much fun. but you will start with two and the next thing you know you will have 20 before you know what happend. it is a addiction to me, and most people here.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Welcome.

You'll want more than two!!!

[​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

welcome, go for it, and be sure to post pictures! [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

[​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG], Karen!

You should definitely go for it -- but it wouldn't be a bad idea to research the codes in your area first. You may be limited to keeping hens only, or need a certain size or style of coop.

You'll definitely be able to learn anything you need to about keeping chickens here on BYC! Good luck with your new project. [​IMG]

10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by