Hey Ya'll

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KatyinMS, Aug 9, 2011.

1. KatyinMS

KatyinMS New Egg

Jan 30, 2009
    Well I'm 32 live in west Mississippi and am a homesteader.

Reintroduction. Well I've been a member here for a LONG time. Several years, eight or ten I think, ago before I even got my first box of chicks in the mail I came here for advice and guidance. And boy did I get it. [​IMG] My inital addiction become more of a hobby, and then just another animal that we keep. My flock had gotten down to four faithful old hens. Now don't get me wrong I love my old girls. They are an ancient dominique, she's seven years old, two buff orps and a commercial leghorn these are no less than four and five yeas old. They all STILL lay every day. I try to use a practical approach to chicken keeping. I take care of them yes, but don't baby them. I like something that is tough and doesn't need much help.

BUT but, You know that chicken fever, I don't think it's ever really cured. The urge to get some tiny frilly showy bantams was strong. So I read a bit and decided on something a little more fancy. This year when I ordered an egg layer assortment package and 20 black langshans. I'm not trying to brag but think they're a handsome and healty lot.(really hope I don't jinx myself) I've enjoyed watching how the different breeds mature. The hamburg v. langshan is quite the contrast. My poor husband amid this heat and drought, has constructed a very large coop I like to call Fort Chicken, predators are quite the plague out here in the woods. The old hens are loving their new place and I'm letting them range a bit more. The babies are big enough to move. But think I'll avoid too much stress and wait until the weather is a little better.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Welcome from Indiana!! [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, KatyinMS! Or is it welcome back? I agree with you - this would be a hard habit to break!! [​IMG] Love the name of the coop - Fort Chicken! [​IMG] I might have to use that name! Glad to have you on the forum again! [​IMG]

4. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    welcome to [​IMG] BYC [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats on getting back into chickens again. [​IMG]

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG]

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] back from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! It's nice to meet you.

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by