Hey Yall !!

Irie74

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
soon to be Bailey, Co
Okay I admit - I've been a BYC "lurker" since early this year. The site has proven invaluable to me with all my "newbie" questions and we are successfully raising our 4 Girls who seem to be happy, healthy and each produce an egg a day!
YAY!
BYC has always managed to answer my questions, and I've never even posted! LOL Come to find out - other people have the same questions I do!! haha
Until now. So, time for me to start posting!

We currently live in Texas, but my husband has been transferred to Denver, Colorado and we will be making the move in December!! I am terrified! I've always been a Texas gal, have had no intentions of leaving the state, and am NOT terribly fond of cold weather! But - I will just have to adapt!
My question is, what is the best way to transport our girls during the 12-14 hour drive to Denver? Obviously they will come in the vehicle with us so they temperature is regulated, but ..... Dog kennel? shavings in bottom? covered, not covered?
Also, is there anything I can do to prepare them for the change in temps? It will probably be in the 40s here in December, and we'll be going into the teens (or so I've heard)
Any other concerns I should be aware of?!

I will post this over on the other threads as well - just wanted to get it started!

thanks!
Rhonda

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I've never transported chickens over a long distance, so I can't help you, sorry! Ditto with the coops, we have the mildest winters. But I'm sure a more experienced member will chime in soon. Good luck with the move!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

I've never transported nearly that far but I have traveled a few hours with birds and kept them in a large dog kennel (Great Dane Sized) with shavings and access to water but not feed.

Greetings from Kansas, Irie74, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! I don't know since I, like the posters above, have never had to transport birds more than a few miles. But it would seem sensible to have a deep bed of shavings in a dog crate and have it covered and kind of dark - I think dark tends to keep them calmer. Best of luck to you!!

i think a dog kennel would be alright, with some shavings and food and water. your gonna put them in the vehicle wit cha, not in the back of a truck aren't cha ? i had chickens when i lived in Kansas and they did fine in the winter, i put a light close to the water to keep it from freezing or you could use an aquarium heater and kept their feeder full. so stop worrying about them ( god knows ya got enough other things to worry about ) i hate moving, if i ever have to move again in my life it will be to soon. good luck to ya and let us know how everything goes when ya get settled in. :)

Back
Top Bottom