1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hey Yall !!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Irie74, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Irie74

Irie74 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    soon to be Bailey, Co
    Okay I admit - I've been a BYC "lurker" since early this year. The site has proven invaluable to me with all my "newbie" questions and we are successfully raising our 4 Girls who seem to be happy, healthy and each produce an egg a day!
    YAY!
    BYC has always managed to answer my questions, and I've never even posted! LOL Come to find out - other people have the same questions I do!! haha
    Until now. So, time for me to start posting!

We currently live in Texas, but my husband has been transferred to Denver, Colorado and we will be making the move in December!! I am terrified! I've always been a Texas gal, have had no intentions of leaving the state, and am NOT terribly fond of cold weather! But - I will just have to adapt!
    My question is, what is the best way to transport our girls during the 12-14 hour drive to Denver? Obviously they will come in the vehicle with us so they temperature is regulated, but ..... Dog kennel? shavings in bottom? covered, not covered?
    Also, is there anything I can do to prepare them for the change in temps? It will probably be in the 40s here in December, and we'll be going into the teens (or so I've heard)
    Any other concerns I should be aware of?!

I will post this over on the other threads as well - just wanted to get it started!

thanks!
    Rhonda

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I've never transported chickens over a long distance, so I can't help you, sorry! Ditto with the coops, we have the mildest winters. But I'm sure a more experienced member will chime in soon. Good luck with the move!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

I've never transported nearly that far but I have traveled a few hours with birds and kept them in a large dog kennel (Great Dane Sized) with shavings and access to water but not feed.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Irie74, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I don't know since I, like the posters above, have never had to transport birds more than a few miles. But it would seem sensible to have a deep bed of shavings in a dog crate and have it covered and kind of dark - I think dark tends to keep them calmer. Best of luck to you!!

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello Rhonda. Greetings from Kentucky. Welcome to BYC! I wish I could answer your transportation question but I've never had to move my birds either. You might want to ask this question in the https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock Managing Your Flock section right here at BYC! Hope you can find your answer there. Best of luck in your move!

[​IMG]

6. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    i think a dog kennel would be alright, with some shavings and food and water. your gonna put them in the vehicle wit cha, not in the back of a truck aren't cha ? i had chickens when i lived in Kansas and they did fine in the winter, i put a light close to the water to keep it from freezing or you could use an aquarium heater and kept their feeder full. so stop worrying about them ( god knows ya got enough other things to worry about ) i hate moving, if i ever have to move again in my life it will be to soon. good luck to ya and let us know how everything goes when ya get settled in. :)

7. PFSfarmer

PFSfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop
    There is a lot of great people and info here.......[​IMG]

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. Big A Chickens