hey ya'll

naightengale

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Rocky Mount VA.
My Coop
My Coop
hello Im Tanya from Franklin Co. Va currently i only have a starting number of chickens of 36. 3 sexlink hen (laying very well some times 2 a day) 2 wyodotte/plymoth rock hens and a rooster (just getting old enuf to lay have gotten one little pullet egg so far) 3 silkie hens (1 black 2 splashs) all proven mothers(two 8wk splash chicks and 1 2wk black chick) 3 millie flur bantum hens and their roo (about laying age no eggs yet but roo JUST started to crow) 5 "production red" hens and a roo (only 2 months old) 3 brahma hens (2months old) and a dark brahma roo (4months old) a brown leg horn rooster unknown age, 2 white crested black polish roosters (just started to crow) 1 fat black hen (think is a bantum orphinton good layer) 1 skinny prissy litte hen (think is japanese bantum good layer) and 4 things between 8 and 10 weeks old we have no idea what they are but they are friendly and cute!!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

welcome-byc.gif
That's a lot of roosters. Are you planning to separate the breeds and have breeding pens to keep them purebred. If not, one rooster can manage about 10 hens. Too many roosters can overbreed hens to the point of seriously injuring and even killing them. If you don't plan on breeding or selling fertile eggs, you don't need a lot of roosters.

yes they are in seperate same breed (type) pens by the time they are 4-5 mo. if i dont have same breed hens for the roosters that ive got i plan to get them. a few of my hens will just have to settle for their best matching rooster lol (bantum hens bantum rooster even if not same exact breed for now any way) i want to consintrate on getting the "odd" roos girls before i worry about getting roos for the odd hens.. besides it gives the odd roos something to do till i get them their own hens.lol but yeah fully intend to keep breeds seperate. right now most of them are very young so i have 5 pens right now. with them segragated up. but all the young ones in one big pen till i can get them all built. seperating them out as i build pens... thou i am trading some silkies for some easter eggers thursday. (and they will go in iso pen then in their own pen)

Back
Top Bottom