Hey Ya'll!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scgreenacres, Jan 2, 2015.

1. scgreenacres

scgreenacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Hey there!
    Hubby and I just moved to our country home the week before Thanksgiving...a major dream come true for us! We have 2 horses and a donkey so far. I have wanted to have chickens REALLY bad for a long time! :) I tried so hard to find a way to sneak them into our neighborhood! I am trying to learn as much as I can before I get them and even thought it might be better to let the weather get a little better before starting. We live in SC so I was thinking end of Feb. or first of March. My hubby wants to refurbish and give the chickens a home in the tack room of the stable. People around here say it is ok for the chickens to live near the horses. My question to ya'll is....is this a good idea and is there anyone here who has this kind of arrangement? I know that the chickens run area must be fenced off but are there other things to majorly consider?
    Thanks in advance I look forward to being here there is sooo much info! :)

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens with horses is not only okay, it can actually be a very good arrangement. There is a great article at http://www.horsefeedblog.com/2012/05/keeping-hens-and-horses/ explaining all the advantages of keeping chickens and horses together. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock. Do you have any breed preferences?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  6. scgreenacres

scgreenacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Thanks to ya'll for the welcome!
    And thanks for the link! I'm going to go check that out, I just wanted to answer your question about the breed. I was thinking Rhode Island Reds. I also liked the thought of Leghorns but an old gentleman at our Agri Supply store told us that they aren't the friendliest. I am open to suggestions! :)

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and the gentleman told you correctly. Leghorns are typically high strung and flighty. Mine screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them (which is why I don't have Leghorns anymore. Rhode Island Reds are calmer, but are sometimes aggressive (especially the roosters). If you want friendly, calm, and gentle chickens, breeds that have a well deserved reputation for this include Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, and Sussex. If eggs are a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list, and Cochins are the worst (although they are the best brooders and mothers). If you don't mind hybrids, you might want to consider Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Whatever breed (or hybrid) you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

There are lots of members here that keep chickens around their horses. Give each of these species their own quarters and all should be well.

Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by