Hey you guys :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bantambec, Aug 19, 2014.

1. bantambec

bantambec New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Initially just to introduce myself really;
    I am a mature Veterinary Nursing Student in the UK and I love all things chicken. I had them when I was very young but we moved from the area and were not allowed to take them with us. Now, as an adult I have only recently managed to get meself some after life took charge! I look forward to reading the forum and getting to know a few characters :)

My inital concern is with a new hatchling, 24h old. From reading the forum I learnt that the yolk sac had not been absorbed and so the chick has an external 'umbillicus scab'. It had come loose and yolk oozed as well as a stringy bloody mucoid section. Now that has come away but I'm sure part of the intestine is popping through (looks the same as mammalian intestine). Is this the end for him as am concerned re;strangulation.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer and hope to return the favour.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Hope you find this site as friendly and use full as I have. There is a emergencies injury and disease section in the forum I'm sure if you post on there some one will be able to offer you advice [

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi two crows please could you advise on how to add links to posts please?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Easy!! If you want to link to another website or even a page here on BYC, open another tab and right click on the address bar and "Copy" the address. Then come back to this reply box and then right click again and "Paste" it to this box. Very easy! When I am welcoming in new members, I can have several tabs open at the same time. LOL

Good luck! :)

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm so sorry about your chick. You have been given some good links by TwoCrows and Kelsie2290. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your chick recovers. Good luck.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your chick![​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry about the chick. Maybe his hatch mates pulled on it. I read once of someone pushing the intestine back under sterile conditions and using a bandage to hold it in. I don't recall if it helped or not. Still you would lose him anyway if you don't try.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I 'm sorry about your chick. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by