Hey you super smart BYCers

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
Off Off Off topic question:

Do any of you know where to find the "real" unemployment figures?? The DOL figure only counts new unemployment applications and does not include those whose benefits ran out or who don't apply. I know I have seen this figure before and some school calculates it but I can't find it!

Any help??

Dang! I googled it and whoa!
th.gif
Where does one start? I take it you are looking for a national number and not your state......

ETA: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm Interesting....

Last edited:
Quote:
It doesn't mean an 93% employment rate.

The numbers don't account for people who are:
- under-employed: working 2 jobs, part-time, in positions for which they're over-qualified
- gave up work involuntarily: took buy-outs or early retirement, couldn't afford childcare so went to a 1-income household, on disability
- gave up on looking for work: went back to school, ran out of benefits, were denied benefits

Jenns right - it's hard to get a 'real' number.

Their were 467,000 claims as of Jan 3, 09. The highest amount in 26 years!

Actually, the Bureau of Labor Statistics page Debi gave me is pretty good _ THANKS - it has a category for discouraged workers - those who gave up looking.

But, it doesn't give a good flat number or percentage and the last data is for November.

When people say stuff like it means a 93% employment rate I figure they don't have a clue..... no offense congdon, but that is really
roll.png

There were 350,000 layoffs today! So, I know the rate is higher than 6.5% now.

It looks from the numbers I worked on today that it is closer to 8 to 8.5%. But, I saw the speech today and agree with the pres elect that double digit looks likely here soon. There are still several shoes left to drop in our economy.

Back
Top Bottom