Hey!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kchampion, May 16, 2019 at 8:33 AM.

1. kchampion

kchampion In the Brooder

Thursday
    New Jersey
    My name is Kimmi. I am a new chicken owner with a ton of knowledge about hatching the chicks, just not necessarily keeping them. I am a teacher and have been hatching them in my class for over 15 years. We never lived anywhere where we could responsibly keep them. Until now! So my husband went ahead and built me a beautiful, large functional coop. This hatch, I decided to keep a few of my chicks to start while the students took the others. Here's the interesting part....I can hatch them, no problem! However....sexing is apparently not my strong suit. I have 4 roosters! LOL. I am talking to a few farms in my area to see if anyone wants them as a donation or trade. But, I have always looked here for answers to various things...so, can anyone help a chick (see what I did there!) I am looking for pullets starting as young as 4 weeks...preferably cream leg bars or plymouth rock. I am in southern NJ.

Attached Files:

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Hi Kimmi! :frow Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have Lots of FUN! :wee

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Kimmi and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

007Sean, sourland, rjohns39 and 5 others like this.
  4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Kimmi, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Yes, I saw what you did there!
    Have you tried joining local poultry groups on FB? You might have luck rehoming the cockerels and getting a few started pullets. Good luck.
    Pictures of the coop?

5. kchampion

kchampion In the Brooder

Thursday
    New Jersey

Attached Files:

6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

7. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Nice job! The only thing I would recommend is to replace the chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth. I assume you will be letting them out to wander in your backyard too?

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    007Sean, rjohns39, Meg-in-MT and 4 others like this.
  9. kchampion

kchampion In the Brooder

Thursday
    New Jersey
    Yep, they will free range when they are older and coop trained. I will look into the hardwire cloth. Thanks!

10. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Look on Amazon. I can't find it priced better anywhere else and they will ship it to your front door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: