Hey........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 12, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    have three road island reds. if i get a barred rock hen will they get along.......

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Um, yes [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's never a good idea to get singletons. If you want to increase your flock it's a better idea to get multiples. That way when integration time rolls around they can share the abuse that the established flock is going to dish out. One lone chicken really gets the stuffing beaten out of it.

Good luck.

4. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    whats singletons one chicken i have 1 rooster and two hens:fl

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yes...she meant one single bird. One bird alone introduced will generally get really picked on unless your original birds are just an especially mild mannered breed. I wouldn't consider RIRs especially mild mannered. If you're adding birds, it would be better to add two...

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Getting one bird and throwing it in with a flock of strangers barely ever ends well. It would be better the get a few new birds rather than one.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any time a new bird or birds are added to a flock, the flock dynamics are altered. There will be fighting sometimes severe or even deadly until the pecking order is reestablished. Just a fact of life in the chicken yard.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    It takes time and patience to introduce chickens. Kind of like teenagers. Slowly and carefully.

A major concern is bringing in disease or parasites, which is why a minimum 30 day quarantine is highly recommended.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12751

As an addendum, the recommended ratio is 10 hens per rooster, especially when dealing with Rhode Island Reds.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  9. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    so how do i do this?

10. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    The Barred Rock will take a shilacking, first it is the new kid and second the coloring is different than the Reds. I would get a coulpe more Rocks to even the odds. Sharks and Jets! [​IMG] Let them get used to each other slowly. There still will be the matter of pecking order, But that's not as bad as a constant beat down.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by