Hi - advice on new gosling falling over please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jobo123, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jobo123

jobo123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Hi I've just joined this site and wondered if anyone could help. One of our geese hatched a gosling about 3 days ago (we think) and had another egg which she stayed on (which we've now found dead). My husband found the first gosling outside of the nest and wet (she'd made a nest inside a shed which is inside the main hut so we've no idea why the gosling was wet). We think she's either hurt it or it was born a bit lame and she's thrown it out. Anyway it's been in a cage under a heat lamp inside our house for 3 days (with a chick we incubated so it's not lonely). The gosling has splayed legs but no wounds and is eating and drinking perfectly well but it keeps falling over onto its back and I keep having to right it. Sometimes it gets back onto its feet on its own. My husband read on a forum that, when chicks have splayed legs, you can help correct this by putting elastoplast on each leg and a piece of string inside double sided sellotape from one leg to another to keep them more together. He did this and the gosling seemed to be able to stand a lot better. The problem is that it's still falling over onto its back, especially when it shakes its head or is startled by someone. Like I said, it's eating just fine, seems alert and is perfectly happy when I take it out and hold it (to clean off bits of hay etc). Do you think it's a matter of giving it more time to get strong and it'll sort itself out or, could there be anything else wrong with it, or anything else we can do? Many thanks for reading this xxx

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm not sure what could be wrong, but if you post this in the Emergencies section of the forum, people there might be able to help.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You want keep the legs taped together as you are doing, for a few more days. Also, give the baby some vitamins. Especially the B vitamins and vitamin E. Both of these will help strengthen the legs which are probably very weak. I have also heard of people taking splay legged babies and putting them in a short drinking glass. Just enough room to stand up. Like a therapy session and let him stand there for 10 mins a few times a day. They have had good luck with strengthening the babies legs.

Good luck with your baby and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  4. jobo123

Jan 27, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome. I live in Bulgaria and will be using this forum quite a lot!!!

5. jobo123

Jan 27, 2014
    Oops got a bit excited and pressed send...........new to all this. Thanks for the glass suggestion and I'll try and post it in emergencies when I've worked out how to do that. Many thanks xxx

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry I have no experience with this but you've received some good advice, best of luck to you.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

Here try this cook up an egg without the shell scrambled or boiled and mash it up real good with a fork and serve this to the little gosling and repeat this for a couple of days and see if this help's [​IMG]

I tend to refer to this as capsizing and you will need to watch you gosling as it could get stuck there and suffocate itself ( WARNING ) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my little flock [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with the gosling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by