Hi All, advice needed on respitory issue...

DellaC

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
Hiya,
A little while ago, I bought a new rooster. Quarantined him. He was completely healthy, though now thinking about it....his crow sounded a bit odd.
Anyway, he's been running with them a bit. Now, I've noticed several with a bit of a sneeze. They aren't "sick" all eating, running about & looking normal. Accept for the respitory sounds. Today I picked one of the polish girls up, decided to lift her pom & check her face. She had a tiny bit of crusty type stuff at the egde of one eye & a slight amount of discharge out of one nostril (on the same side, clear discharge I think though it had a bit of dirt in it).

I've been googling & I see things like Chlamydia & it kinda freaks me out.

What's my best course of action? I've got chicks here, as well as some older stock....and have not lost or had any sick chicks.

But it's a big worry when you see things like chlamydia are notifiable (what's that even mean, who do you contact, how do you test...do you cull?) and transferable to humans!

Any & all help is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Anyone? I have the vet coming out next week to see horses. But what questions do I ask him? And will need to ask for specific tests, so he can bring the right gear???

You can try using Tylan50. Many poultry owners including myself have been very successful in using Tylan50 for respiratory symptoms. IF it is a virus antibiotics won't kill a virus but WILL help prevent a secondary infection that often happens. When my flock had displayed respiratory symptoms the Tylan50 relieved those symptoms completely. It just depends on the nature of the illness. In order to find the exact nature of the illness you would need testing. I suggest you try the Tylan50 and see how they respond to the treatment. I would not yet panic. You can purchase the Tylan50 at most feed stores along with the necessary syringes. It is not expensive. Do NOT worry the medication says for cattle and swine as many poultry owners use Tylan50 as the drug of choice for respiratory symptoms.it is the antibiotic Tylosin. I prefer injectable like this in times of illness over water soluble antibiotics because with water soluble dose is contingent on amount drank and is not a stable dose especially when they are ill they tend not to drink as much. So dose is much more consistent with injectable . Injectable also gets into the blood stream much faster . The dose for large birds is 1/2 cc. Small birds is 1/4 cc. The dose is given into the breast muscle once daily for 5 to 7 days. When I give a Injection I like to wipe the area with alcohol first this helps part the feathers and expose the flesh. You want to make sure you are in the breast and under the crop not too close to the wing. You can once inserted the needle pull back slightly on the plunger if blood appears change your area because you could be on a vessel and that can cause some bruse. Once you pull back on plunger and no blood appears then give the injection. Please trust me this is much much easier than it sounds. Hopefully the Tylan50 will help relieve the symptoms. I hope this helps and wish you the best. If you don't want to try the antibiotics and are first and foremost concerned about the exact nature of the illness you can cull a sick bird and send the body in for testing. Usually the state vet or sometimes a local vet can help you with testing. They will let you know the exact nature of the illness and if it is reportable help you with that process. It would be reported to your state and I believe they will destroy the rest of the birds and im not certain of the other processes they may do.perhaps someone else knows the exact details of those processes.i really hope this helps you out.and hope the illness can be relieved with trying the antibiotics. I wish you the very best of luck.

To add if your vet is coming out then perhaps he/she can test the bird or dispatch it and send the body to the appropriate place for testing. Then you will know the exact nature of the illness and what steps to take to proceed.or if the vet feels he can successfully treat the illness he/she can prescribe a antibiotic of his/her choice for your bird. Usually the bird is culled for testing.

Last edited:
I can't find info on Tylan50 here in Australia? Any idea on what an equivalent here would be?
So...the Sulphramide & tetracycline antibiotics won't help??

There are medications available from vets in Australia that contain tylosin (Tylan) as an active ingredient. Also I have read that Tylan powder for water is available. Denagard or tiamulin should be available there--it is probably better than Tylan since there isn't supposed to be any resistance to it. Your vet may need to prescribe since most governments are becoming strict about purchasing OTC antibiotics.

Hi!
So, I've been to the vet. He's saying it's a bronchial type thing. Apparently, really going around at the moment. Have antibiotics to treat with. Have checked them all.....none have the eye discharge. Vet think she had it, due to irritation from her pom!

Back
Top Bottom