Hi all :) chicken in chicago

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Peruvianchick, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Peruvianchick

Peruvianchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi all,
    My name is sara and I live on the northside of Chicago. Im 16, and had a rooster for awhile when I was younger, a dyed green one I got from a friend. He is now living at a farm [​IMG] Now ive stumbled upon a week old chick and need some help [​IMG] she is really small and cute but does not want to sleep or eat the chick feed i got her although she loves dried meal worms [​IMG] how can i keep her warmer? and how can i take best care of her? [​IMG] shes black wit whites spots [​IMG] im happy to be joining [​IMG]

2. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    let me be the first to say [​IMG] from central queensland OZ

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does she have a heat lamp or any type of heat now?? Days are hot enough I am sure, but if night time temps are below 90 or so, she may need some extra heat.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

It's important that she does eat her chick food. Why she is not sleeping could be because she is to cold. Do you have a heat light on her? Try wetting her chick feed and making a mash for. She might like that better. Is she the only chick you have? I'm glad you joined BYC! We are here:welcome to try to help you with your new chick!
    [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Peruvianchick

Aug 30, 2011
    Quote:yes [​IMG] she has a heat lamp that i use for my turtle, and i made her a temporary heatn pad that i hafta reheat evry 6 hours [​IMG] but she still peeps all night [​IMG] n only sleeps wen i hold her [​IMG] could she still be cold?

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    sounds like she is lonely. Could try a stuffed animal or feather duster.

7. Peruvianchick

Aug 30, 2011
    Quote:I tried that but she chokes a little. I know with other birds you can feed their crop directly, but can i do that on her? [​IMG] is their anythng else shell eat? And thank you [​IMG] i appreciate the help so much :')

8. Peruvianchick

Aug 30, 2011
    Quote:Really???? ill try that, thank you [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, Peruvianchick. [​IMG] Glad you joined us. I agree with AZBootie...chicks and chickens are very social and kinda freak out when they are alone. Best of luck getting her settled in! [​IMG]

10. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by