1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi All, excited newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by erinangele, Jul 2, 2011.

1. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi Everyone! We are a typical suburban family of 5, myself, husband, 3 year old son, 8 year old chihuahua, and 17 year old lab mix.

Last month, late at night, after watching a documentary on how our food is raised/grown, my husband said, "Let's get our own chickens." I'm not really sure what came over me, as i am normally hesitant about adding pet's to our household, but i agreed without giving it a second thought. That very night i started researching, and within a week we had ordered 4 chicks from MPC, 1 RIR, 1 Delaware, 1 Speckled Susex, and 1 Easter Egger (they will arrive around July 11th). I can't remember the last time i was so excited about something [​IMG]

I have spent hours researching everything and anything chicken related. My husband is building the coop with a run, and we will let them free range during the day. Most of our garden is already mature, but i do have some areas near their coop where i will be planting some chicken friendly plants. I ordered, "The Chicken Health Handbook" (although i pray i wont have to use it!), and my friend is lending me her brooder. Now all we need are the fuzzybutts!

I do have a question about some of the plants already in my yard, so i'm off to find where to post that question! Looking forward to pecking your brains [​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Hello, and [​IMG]

You have found the best source of help, information and fellowship on the web. This is the best source for all things chicken! Anything you need to know...just ask! Oh and by the way, don't peck my brain, please! [​IMG]

3. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Hello and [​IMG].

Fair warning...chicks will sleep and look dead...they dust bathe and look like they are having a seizure. They have scared the life out of my daughter many times that way.

Have fun and enjoy.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Brain? What brain? It's already been pecked.

Make sure your husband makes that coop and run extra big. You know, for the other's you'll end up with.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I wouldnt worry about the plants in the yard, they usually instinctively know what's good to eat and what's not good to eat.

6. Belllane

Belllane New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Hi everyone I am also new here, I live in the Hudson Valley area of NY on 2 acres with my 11 yr old pug, Kittyboy the cat, 3 golden comets, 3 barred rock and 2 arucanas. I have a very patient hubby and 2 teenage boys who put up with my craziness lol. I do have a question, my girls are about 5 1/2 weeks old, is it ok for them to eat lavender that is growing in my garden? thank you all![​IMG]

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

8. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join.

9. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    Hi erinangele!

I am also an excited Newbie and am expecting my MPC order the week of 7/18. There is tons to learn here so do searches on anything you have questions on and you'll find it!

10. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I will definitely be scouring this site for information!

Quote:Thanks for the heads up! This will save me from coming on here and posting about my chicks having a seizure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by