HI ALL!!!First time raising baby chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcchicks, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mcchicks

mcchicks New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Hello everyone just introducing myself. I am new to the forum and new to backyard chickens. I have 6 baby chicks. Three tetra tints and three mixed reds I bought a tractor supply. I special ordered 6 australorps but my coop only handles 5-6. So I may cancel the order. So far they are so awesome and people friendly. I had no idea how much they would make me smile. Does anyone have australorps? I'm debating I I should get them and mix up the chicks and the Give some away.

2. Lolipop

Lolipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    CT
    Hi!
    I just got my first chicks too! They're adorable!

Well, you could make yourself a bigger coop!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Australorps are wonderful, but due to the age difference in chicks (by the time you'd get the new ones), and your small coop situation, I'd suggest sticking with what you have already. For six chicks, you'd want a coop that's about 6ft x 4 ft. plus run of at least 60 sq. ft... Have fun with your chicks! You can always add next spring if/when you build another coop...

4. achickschirp

achickschirp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Im getting some! I went TSC yesterday for some to pick out. I'm probably gett'n some red pullets,mixed pullets, and leghorns. So excited! Maybe you can give me some tips I'm first timer. But I've felt with chicken and chicks by never raised em. The only I've raised is a dog, cattle, and a rabbit.

5. turkey lover

turkey lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    i have 5 week old chicks,and also 1 week old chicks,just wondering when it comes time to put the 1 week old out side,an put them with the older ones will they be picked on cause they are younger,cant put them together now cause the older ones are a little feisty.just wondering

6. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm not sure about that but I've heard of bullying in flocks. Some signs of that are missing feathers(unless they were born that way or they are molting. Molting is a very hard awkward time for a chicken so I wouldn't move them during molting)

7. teach1rusl

My main tip is to read a lot about proper care! And know that Even the experts advice varies...lol...so use common sense. Remember that only the area beneath the lamp, not the entire brooder, needs to be the stated temp (which will be @90-95 degrees for the first week). Distressed peeping continuously means something isn't right. Wire your lamp in place...don't rely on a clamp. Always feed formulated feed as their main food source...not corn or scratch. Fresh water available all the time. Spend time sitting with them and handling them if you want friendly chickens...

8. achickschirp

Mar 24, 2013
    Thanks for the advice I will keep that in mind! Now do you think they would get along if they aren't the same breed?

9. teach1rusl

If they are very close in age, definitely! I have many different breeds, because I like variety. The ones of the same ages raised together are like siblings.

10. teach1rusl

A month difference won't matter too much by the time they're old enough to put outside. There will be some picking on of the youngers for a few weeks, but at those ages, they should settle in fairly quickly. Just make sure you have branches, or little stumps, or other barriers available so that the younger group can avoid the older group if needed. Also a good idea to have more than one feeder/waterer so that no little one can be bullied away from the only food/water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by