Hi all from eastern CT

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ctchickenchick, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Ctchickenchick

Ctchickenchick Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    I've been a lurker for some time, nearly 2 years. Thanks to everyone for the pages of knowledge and valuable opinions.
    Unfortunately I've got to leave CT and must give up my flock. I have 12 New Hampshire Red hens and 1 Barred Rock roo. All are 18 months old, in excellent health. The girls are sweet and all come running when they see or hear you. The roo is very sweet to the hens, very gentle and never pulls their feathers, and usually keeps his distance from humans but will kick a dog now and then to remind them who's boss.
    The girls are egg machines and they have free run of an acre fenced with 6ft chainlink. 2 Labs keep anything even thinking about the chickens from going over/under the fence.
    I
    If anyone is interested in adopting my flock please reply. I'm in eastern CT near the MA and RI borders.
    I'm sorry for saying hello and goodbye in the same post but life happens. :(
    Again, thank you all for all the knowledge and all the laughs. Your contributions made it possible to get my flock rolling.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Ctchickenchick

Mar 3, 2017
    Thank you so much for the kind thoughts and the link. Hopefully I can get a new flock up soon but will miss my girls and miss the yelp when my roo kicks a 110lb lab. The dogs will miss them too (hens more than the roo I think).
    Now that I've enjoyed their company I will always want to have them around.

4. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    That sucks

Good luck from Australia!

5. Ctchickenchick

Mar 3, 2017
    Yes indeed it sucks muchly. Wish it were feasible to take them with me, going to miss my baby t-rex's.
    Thanks for the well wishes.

6. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I know exactly what you're going through, it is very hard. My husband was offered a job in WY last year and we moved here from FL...it would have been too much on the girls to make that move so I had to re-home them. I was lucky, one of our neighbor's grandson wanted the entire flock (9 birds) and his wife was experienced in poultry. I hope you find someone that will take them as a group, I think that makes the move somewhat easier on the birds.

Best of luck to you!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry you have to rehome them. I can tell how much you love your flock . Hope someone will take them all. Have you posted on your state thread? It would attract more attention from people living closer to you.[​IMG]

8. Ctchickenchick

Mar 3, 2017
    NFC, your little GO chicks would have been shocked with cold and snow. Hope they're still enjoying their sunshine state of mind and hope you're not frozen.
    DIVA, yes I have posted on one od the DR boards and keeping my fingers crosses. Last resort I would posts at Tractor Supply And Agway but I hope someone here who would see the girls as pets who give daily presents will want them. Hate to think of them as *GASP* livestock.

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Ctchickenchick [​IMG]

I am so very sorry to hear that you are having to part with your flock .. heartbreaking!

We too are in the throes of a big move but luckily enough we are able to take our girls with us; they are going to be flying the furthest they have in their lives, 1,300kms [​IMG]

Anyways, you are in my thoughts .. I can not imagine handing my girls over to someone else and I so very much hope that you are able to find them a good home where they will be loved as much as they are now.

[​IMG]

10. Ctchickenchick

Mar 3, 2017
    Thanks Teila, it is a bit unsettling. I've had Miles and the girls since they were newly hatched from McMurray's. Watching them endlessly in their little brooder, celebrating their first feathers. Talk about getting ready for an empty nest syndrome...literally. :( Oh..and discovering that at 5 weeks old they could still slip through chainlink fencing..chasing 15 chicks ...good times.
    Unfortunately I'm moving to a more metropolitan area, renting an apartment until I can sell my house. No new flock until I can buy a house with a couple acres.
    Maybe I can find some byc'rd in the area who will let visit their girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by