Hi All!! Help me please...hen or roo?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cjatthefarm, Aug 13, 2011.

1. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    My leghorn only had 1 of her eggs hatch; it is a beautiful EE!! Now my only question is-----please--is she a hen???!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    shes colored like one of my three ameracauna pullets [​IMG] so im going with pullet

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a roo stance. Sorry.

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Are you sure it's a roo? I don't see any saddle feathers. I think its a pullet.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is a girl. Only girls have that color.

6. simplyscrambled

simplyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I say pullet. Looks a lot like our little girl, and we wondered the same thing, because she is lankier than all the other EE's we have!

Here's her pic at 15 weeks

[​IMG]

7. 1 hen and 1 roo

1 hen and 1 roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Well, we crossed 3 of our EE hens with our purebred Ameraucana roo just for fun. Three eggs hatched. 2 roos and 1 pullet. The pullet had coloring just like yours (very similar to her mom) and the cockerels had a typical roo coloring with the hackles and tail feathers and the under color of blue or black from the Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. Easy to tell the sex due to the their colors. They sure were pretty. We gave them away as we only want purebred Ameraucana roos on our place. Our daughter shows Ameraucana in Poultry Shows. We kept the hen for now. Her face is different and she has lacing in her feathers which the Blue Wheaten and Wheaten Ameraucana do not and her color is not anywhere near theirs. She is now laying eggs which is good for her.

Now with the Black purbred Ameraucana, it was tough determining sex until they were quite a bit older. The comb is what gave that away. The pea comb on an Ameraucana roo and the EE roo will be slighter larger and darker in color than the pullet. Kind of hard when you don't have another one same age to compare.

How old is your EE in the picture? How many weeks?

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Pullet! (EEs can be sexed by color [​IMG])

9. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I agree! I don't think it's a roo. Pullet!

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a girl! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by