Hi All!! Help me please...hen or roo?!

cjatthefarm

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
Tucson
My leghorn only had 1 of her eggs hatch; it is a beautiful EE!! Now my only question is-----please--is she a hen???!!!

66455_087.jpg

66455_017.jpg

Thanks!

I say pullet. Looks a lot like our little girl, and we wondered the same thing, because she is lankier than all the other EE's we have!

Here's her pic at 15 weeks

DSC03336.jpg

Well, we crossed 3 of our EE hens with our purebred Ameraucana roo just for fun. Three eggs hatched. 2 roos and 1 pullet. The pullet had coloring just like yours (very similar to her mom) and the cockerels had a typical roo coloring with the hackles and tail feathers and the under color of blue or black from the Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. Easy to tell the sex due to the their colors. They sure were pretty. We gave them away as we only want purebred Ameraucana roos on our place. Our daughter shows Ameraucana in Poultry Shows. We kept the hen for now. Her face is different and she has lacing in her feathers which the Blue Wheaten and Wheaten Ameraucana do not and her color is not anywhere near theirs. She is now laying eggs which is good for her.

Now with the Black purbred Ameraucana, it was tough determining sex until they were quite a bit older. The comb is what gave that away. The pea comb on an Ameraucana roo and the EE roo will be slighter larger and darker in color than the pullet. Kind of hard when you don't have another one same age to compare.

How old is your EE in the picture? How many weeks?

Back
Top Bottom