Hi all, hoping to start our chicken flock soon...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by quilisma, Apr 14, 2012.

1. quilisma

quilisma New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    I've wanted to be a chicken mom for years, and now that we actually own a home and the property zoning allows chickens (yes, that was a "must" when we were house-hunting!) we plan to start a flock as soon as the chicken house is built. (DH won't let me order the chicks till that's done... LOL)

This will be my first time actually owning chickens, but DH grew up caring for a flock of a hundred or so chickens on his grandfather's farm, so I will be drawing on his experience. Looking forward to learning from all of you! :)

One thing I am wondering off the bat: do you find that cats can learn to get along with chickens? Our kitties, Joanie Jett and Rosalind, are indoor cats, but we do let them outside occasionally to play and nosh on some grass. They're 18 months old and love to pretend they're little panthers, if age is a factor.

thanks! Robin

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When my chicks were about 4 weeks old I let them out in a big cage on the grass protected from dogs, cats, etc. Whenever our cats came near I scolded them with a growly "No!" They have never really bothered them since, but I would not ever trust them with young chicks. When they go to the big coop around 7 weeks old, I leave them in there for a couple of weeks until they are big enough so that cats don't bother them.

3. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I have seen of my neighbors cats in the yard with my chickens before without harming them. I believe once the rooster set them in their "place", it wasn't a problem. I do have 4 chicks I hatched under my mom's hen when she went broody that I keep in a large dog crate with the hen until they get bigger. My mom's cat is a real hunter and I wouldn't trust him around them.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    Cats and chickens should be no problem at all. One warning look from my hens and the neighbourhood cats are sent yowling on their way... :lol: I'd keep them apart when the chickens are young though, a little fluffy chick wouldn't be so intimidatinng. :p
    Anyway, don't hesitate to ask any othher questions you might have, and I hope you enjoy the site! :D

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

7. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Hello, and [​IMG] !

I have two cats and they get along with the chickens just fine. I never allowed the cats to be near the chickens until the chickens were nearly grown. At that point, they were too big for the cats to bother with them. They basically ignore each other most of the time.
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps