1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi all I'm back seeking for more advice....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farm316, Dec 26, 2016.

1. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Hey all,

Its Farm316 again, this time I'm seeking help on when to "buy" more baby chicks for 2017, Were hoping to pick up more chicks sometime in the spring and are unsure when we should really pick them up.

Thanks
    Farm316

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Murray McMurray hatchery is the best in my opinion. They will ship anywhere in the United States and package wonderfully. I have only had 1 bird ever die the whole time I've ordered from them

3. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Also they have an amazing chicks selector where you can choose certain characteristics. Which is very helpful

4. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    What kind of birds are you looking to add, hatchery layers or SOP? You can add them anytime as long as you have the facilities to control their microclimate enough until they're fully feathered. Hatchery layers are pretty much available from the mail order companies year round but breeders will have birds available depending on their hatching schedules. Some breeders won't sell fertile eggs or chicks but only good quality pullets and cockerels in pairs, trios, or quads. So it depends what you're looking for.

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    If you're asking "when" to get them, assuming you have facilities to house and heat young chicks when it is cold outside, the earlier in the season you can get them I've found the younger they start laying. I've hatched chicks in January (couldn't wait to use my new incubator) and the pullets were all laying by the beginning of June (4.5 months old). Hatched a little later most often started in the five or closer to six month range.
    Unfortunately this past spring I did my hatching in May and at 7.5 months old some, not all , of the pullets are just starting to lay. Their mothers all started in the 5 to six month range.
    This coming spring I'm going to try for early March so hopefully they will get started BEFORE the older hens molt and take a break.

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Why don't you hatch couple batches yourself? It is fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by