Hi all!! I'm new to raising chickens and have a question...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by doranrusselhill, Sep 6, 2016.

1. doranrusselhill

doranrusselhill New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    We got 6 americana chickens in may and 1 of them is not like the others, lol! Can you tell from my picture? If so, is one of these a male? And what do i do if it is? Her name is jinny, but im wondering if i dont have a jimmy! Lol!! Any help would be great!![​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Yes, I'm afraid the big silver one with the brown splotches on the back is a boy! A beauty though! You could try to rehome him. Post in your state's thread in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Perhaps a local can help you out. Keeping him is an option but a single rooster with that few hens will likely overbreed them, causing feather loss on the back and nervous hens. Hope you find a workable solution. [​IMG]

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

lol...there is a nice looking .. different ... one in there! How fun. If you can't keep him, well, do try your state thread as suggested. Or, go post him on a local ad. Good luck...he's very pretty.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He is very beautiful though, the red color over wings is a giveway that the bird is a rooster.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by