Hi All! Thanks to You, I Saved My Rooster!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by warner1, Nov 12, 2013.

1. warner1

warner1 Just Hatched

Nov 11, 2013
    Hi everyone!

I am so happy to be here. We have all of 3 chickens; 2 laying hens and a rooster.

This place helped me save my Rooster. The poor thing. The dog was seen carrying him up the driveway, limp and lifeless. Hubby thought poor Picasso (the Rooster) was dead. However, when hubby picked up Picasso, he was still alive. Amazing.

Picasso had trouble breathing, a bloody nostril, no voice, no appetite and he was lethargic. What a mess, but I found no wounds on him.

We don't know what happened to him. Regardless, I had Picasso brought into the house and kept him in a large cage. That was on Halloween. I knew that I had to help him, but I was at a loss. I searched the web and found tons of information and opinions. I looked up meds for sale for chickens, too. I found SMZs! Yay! I had that on hand!!!!

Picasso got SMZs (with vet approval), scrambled egg juice via syringe, protein drink via syringe, cottage cheese with some cherry jam, crushed pecans and walnuts were left for him, fresh greens were left for him, grapes and scratch were left for him, and water with electrolytes was left in his cage and given via syringe and beak dunking. The *only* way he ate or drank was via syringe or a beak dunking. Oh, and I gave him honey water and left some of that in his cage, too.

My vet was helpful and cheering for him, too.

I dreaded going downstairs because I just knew I would find him dead. Nope. He was hanging in there.

On the 9th, we took him outside and reintroduced him to the hens. He managed and we guarded him. He needed some fresh air and exercise, we figured.

As of yesterday (November 11th, 2013), I am confident that he is going to make it! Our vet was happy about it, too. He's not 100%, yet. No crowing, but some noise. He's eating, drinking and fussing if he is out of something. I was so, so happy to see him eating and drinking on his own.

A majority of the information came from here. So, I thank you all, for asking questions and answering questions.

SUMMARY: Limp Rooster, thought dead on Halloween. As of 11/11/13, it appears as though he is going to make it!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Ruth aka warner1
    (Sorry that it's so long, but I'm so excited!)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great news and good job on your part.

1 person likes this.
  3. Glad your rooster is ok! and
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Good news about your roo and wonderful job taking care of him on your part.

1 person likes this.
  5. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome Glad to have you join us! I'm happy to hear that your rooster is okay. :hugs

1 person likes this.
  6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Chickens are amazingly resilient glad he's going to be ok! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Your post was not long. We all love those kinds of stories. Tell us more!
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I love happy endings

1 person likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009