Hi all! Totally new to chickens!! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clucking Lovely, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Clucking Lovely

Clucking Lovely Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey everyone!
    Last July I bought a big ol' house out in the country sitting one 1,25 acres of prime chicken real estate :)

I grew up in the country, i've had an array of farm pets, from goats to horses. Never chickens though.

Sunday, 8 hens came home, along with 2 ducklings :)

We unfortunately lost one of the hens last night. Ignorance on our part - the dogs got it. Lots of regrets there! Mostly about having dogs.... Kidding, love the mutts, but my whole little wanna-be farmer thing would be much easier if not for them. We've majorly reinforced the fencing since last night to say the least, poor girl. :(

Aside from chickens and ducks, we share our funny farm with 4 dogs - Layla, a husky mix, Samie a shepherd mix, Tucker a great pyrenees x chicken murderer and Nova a malamute. Also have 2 cats Duster and Pearl-Cat :) mega pet lovers. Theres also a 4 year old human in here somewhere too. Hes pretty cute, probably gonna keep him ;)

I look forward to chit chatting with all of you. I have so much to learn and Im pretty confident that i've come to the right place :)

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Clucking Lovely

Jun 22, 2016
    Quebec, Canada
    Thank you :D

4. Clucking Lovely

Jun 22, 2016
    Quebec, Canada
    Thank you : D

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sorry you lost a bird. Chickens never come out on top in dog encounters

6. Clucking Lovely

Jun 22, 2016
    Quebec, Canada
    Thank you. I don't think many small animals come out on top in dog encounters :( We felt really terrible. We were in the process of planting a cedar hedge and the dogs pushed through/under the fence. They're menaces.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome!

8. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Hey
    @Clucking Lovely and [​IMG]. Yes i understand what you mean, my dogs just killed a baby bird this morning and they dont mean to it is just they are to rough. I am happy you reinforced the fencing to protect them. I just got my new flock last week and so far I haven't lost any chickens. I have a few questions about your chickens if you dont mind answering them...

1. How old are your chickens?
    2. What breeds?
    3. Have you gotten any eggs yet?

This is the right place to go for everything chicken related. You should check out our Learning Center a must for all chicken raisers old and new and I can guarantee you will learn something you didn't know before. Here is that link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center Also your flock sounds amasing and I would love to see your flock all the animals so if you have any free time you can post updates and pics here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates Also if you ever have any more trouble with coop issues go here and people there can instruct you how to fix it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance I wish you and your flock the best of luck and have a great day!
    Justin [​IMG]

9. Clucking Lovely

Jun 22, 2016
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi Justin, I have 7 hens and I've had 13 eggs since Monday. Not setting any records, but i'm thinking the stress of a new environment + the murderous neighbors (dogs) probably doesn't help. They were hatched last September. They're Red Sex Link the lot of them :) I'm really happy with them.

10. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy your time here, cya around :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by