1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi All

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DixieChickPa, Apr 5, 2016.

1. DixieChickPa

DixieChickPa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Irwin, PA
    Hi! We're new to this chicken stuff and have 3 Brown Leghorns and 3 Rhode Island Reds. We will have had them 4 weeks this Saturday. We live near Pittsburgh, PA, little closer to the mtns. One of our Rhode Islamd Reds is HUGE compared to the others. My question is that we currently have them in the house, in our laundry room in one of those big metal containers from Tractor Supply and still habe heat lamp on them. We are currently having a cold snap. They are getting too big for the metal thing but i'm not sure if they shpuld be put out in coop yet. We got a 4x6 Amish built coop, so I assume it's good quality. I tend to be a mama bear, so i'm worried that i'll put these babies out too soon. Any advice?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Any way you could provide heat in the coop for the evening chill. Here in NJ it got down into the low 20 s last night.

3. DixieChickPa

Mar 31, 2016
    Irwin, PA
    Yes, we can do that. Our temps thru weekend are going to be 30s during day and 20s at night. I just feel we're at the point they need more room!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Better to just have a bigger brooder for them. Maybe you could join two big cardboard boxes to make one really big brooder. I like to err on the side of caution, that is way cold for a chick- even if they were 8 weeks old.

5. DixieChickPa

Mar 31, 2016
    Irwin, PA
    the brooder they're in is a good size, i just feel bad for them not habing room to run around. I think we'll wait out this cold spell indoors and hopefully Spring will come soon! Thanks everyone

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by