1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

Hi all

Discussion in 'Other Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs' started by chris1950, Apr 7, 2018.

1. chris1950

chris1950 Hatching

Apr 7, 2018
    Hoping to find a female mute swan to keep my male swan company

2. Poultry keeper12

Poultry keeper12 Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Nice!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck in your search.

4. josebeth1

josebeth1 Chirping

Apr 16, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    I will be a killjoy here. I actually have a 3 yr old, which means she's probably sexually mature now. I also really do need to get her sold. BUT! I'm looking to find her a home with another female for companionship. I sold her two brothers together, and they've been fine as buddies ever since--I believe because there are no females around them to get them riled up. You see, there are mute swans all over thanks to irresponsible owners who don't pinion cygnets and just let them fly away. There really isn't much of a market for them here (NE Ohio) and when our Dept of Fish/Wildlife sees them out and free (without obviously being someone's pet)--they kill them. Mute swans are considered to be an invasive species here and take away nesting/feeding/breeding areas from Trumpeter Swans who have recently come off the endangered species list but are still protected as much as possible. Swans are very prolific! So, while my Delilah is laying at this time--will probably be done and start sitting within the week--the eggs will be addled and never hatch. It kills me to do this-I'm usually crying while I do it--but I just can't see bringing more into the world at this time given the circumstances. The young one I have now is a clutch mate to the two boys, who were actually ordered before their eggs were laid. In the end, I'm still sorry I did it because here we are with this young female and no good area for her to live because the parents will kill her in a heartbeat if I let her free on the pond with them. This, of course, is posted in the hope that people will think before they jump into "I want baby swans" on a whim.............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: