HI all!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m496, Oct 26, 2011.

1. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Hi! I know you haven't heard from me in a while, but I am finally getting my ducks next weekend!! They are a pair of Minni Silver Appleyards. I have one last question: my local feed store has both Purina country feed layer feed and country feed all flock. The layer feed is 16% crude protien and the all flock is 18% crude protien. Since this isnt spring, I feel like I should feed them country feed layer feed because it has 16% protien and I am afraid the all flock is too much right now. Here are the sites to the ingredients in both bags: All flock: http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena...eds-poultry/country-feeds-all-flock/index.jsp ......Layer: http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena...feeds-poultry/country-feeds-layer16/index.jsp ......

Oh and does it matter if you feed pellets or crumbles? THanks!

2. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    How old are your new ducks? Are you getting a pair or two females, or?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you don't want to feed ducklings layer. too much calcium

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    ditto Granny Carol and Miss Lydia.

Age and sex matter.

If they're adult females, I feel that either would be fine, making sure that especially with the all-flock and even with the layer ration, you offer free choice oyster shell or other source of additional calcium.

I fed my babies crumbles, switching to small pellets at about three weeks. Right now they get a feed that's field peas, wheat, corn, a few other grains and supplements. I moisten it to make it easier for them to eat, which means I sniff it regularly and change it out often to avoid mold. Not that pellets don't get wet.

By the way - CONGRATULATIONS! We'll need photo's, of course.

5. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    They are going to be 7+ weeks and one female and one male. Does that help clarify it? Also, I will be feeding grit year round but should I feed egg shells year round too? I was thinking just summer and spring.

Thank you for the congrats and I will be posting pictures!!! [​IMG])

6. GrannyCarol

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I'd feed all flock and keep oyster shell handy all the time. That way your hen can eat it whenever she wants. Either feed would be fine for ducks (when adult), the drake probably shouldn't eat that much calcium. However, my drakes often eat layer with my ducks, just because they are together. I would not feed layer to ducklings.

Mini Appleyards seem to be awesome! Looking forward to pictures!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners (except for today for some reason) lay year-round, though each one takes a break. We're at a low right now with one or two eggs a day. That will, if it's like last year, start increasing in a month or so.

So I keep oyster shell out for them all the time.

I started with oyster shell when they were 12 weeks old, because they started mating behaviors at that time. I guessed right. At 16 weeks, one started laying and the rest followed suit. Storey's Guide recommends starting them on calcium supplements a month before they begin laying.

I'm thinking the all flock might be good, adding calcium supplement free choice in a month or so (yours is a larger breed than my runners, I think, so likely to begin laying later - in fact, if you're heading into winter now, they may not begin to lay for a while). Too much calcium is tough on drakes.

With the breed you have, will one female be enough for the drake? Some drakes are quite - uhm - busy, and can cause health problems for a duck. On the other hand, I have heard of people having pairs. Someone with more experience may want to write about this.

8. GrannyCarol

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    From what I've heard one drake with his own duck and no competition doesn't get so wound up. It's multiple drakes that compete that really give you trouble.

9. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I feed all my ducks and chickens Purina Flockraiser. It smells SO good. They don't like much else. I get plentiful and beautiful eggs.

Also anxious to see pictures.

[​IMG]

10. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I did do reaserch on the pairs (female and male), and I did find a lot of ok's on that. I went into my local feed store about a month ago and I can't remember whether it is the layer feed or all flock or both that they carry but I do know for a fact that they carry atleast one of those. So, I think I will stop by this week and buy what kind they carry. The problem is, if they carry both, I still do not know which one is the better choice!

So with one female and one male, what do you think is the best possible bag (+grit, egg shells, and greens) for both male and female? (the links are on the first post)

thank you all for your help so far and your interest![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by