Hi, and New to raising show birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantams galore, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bantams galore

bantams galore Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi, I am pretty new here, but have been reading for a while.

I am starting out in showing leghorn bantams. I have been looking for a way to start my own families of birds. I have seen all kinds of neat charts on the internet, some of them seem more complicated than others. Most of them start with one pair, and some of them start with a trio. I was reading on this site that some feel that it is better to start a family with two pairs instead a trio, but I don't see any charts for that, so what would something like that look like? This summer I bought 2 trio's of the best birds that the breeder would sell. I am looking for ideas to get started good.

Is it alright to show the birds I bought this fall, or do I need to wait until next year when I have some I hatched myself?

thanks,

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You can certainly show the birds you got this fall! [​IMG] it will give you an idea of how good quality they are, and may help you choose which birds to breed in the spring. I always show both my older birds and my younger birds.

3. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    each of my trios have one old hen, one pullet, and one cockerel. That is the way that the guy said to put them together. He said to start two families, so I can cross them back to each other later?????????

4. bantams galore

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for the help so far? so does any one know how you start a line from 2 pairs? and why would it be better than a trio?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by