HI bird lover from U.P. Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chair13, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Chair13

Chair13 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Hi,II live in the upper peninsula of Michigan and bought my first 10 chickens in November 2011 and have been acquiring more since. I at one time had over 80 birds (ducks, peacocks, chickens and turkeys). As a first timer to all this I have made some mistakes and am learning as I go (like don't put a pool in your coop for ducks.. that can make a mess and cause some serious illnesses). My birds are free range, they have a building to roost in that gets locked up at night for their safety and opened early in the morning for them to explore the world. We hatched some little babies last spring for our first time (well, our first time ended with only one survivor-long story short was babysitting a 3 year old that liked knobs, cranked up my incubator and cooked all my eggs, but one-she is our miracle). We tried a second time and was very successful out 24 eggs 20 were fertile and 17 hatched. So, because I am still learning I would like to be involved with people with more knowledge or maybe have the same questions as I do.

2. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome, I'm just below the bridge. I have about 60+ birds that are all hating this wether right now. This is a great place to learn, it has been a great help to me. If your interested there is a Michigan thread under the Where am I? Where are you section. There are a couple yoopers on there.

3. Chair13

Chair13 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    I live close to Wisconisn, I am in Menominee county! I am down to about 50 birds (mostly chickens now-polish, silkies, Ameraucanas, cochins, red jungle fowl, rhode island reds, frizzle and mixes, also 5 Indian runner ducks, one female peacock and 2 turkeys). My birds are not loving this weather especially since we got slammed with like 6 inches or more of snow and last week it was 30 below. I hope to learn as much as I can from people that are more knowledgeable or learning as they go like me. Thank you for welcoming me :) I will check out that thread

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Chair13, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sounds like it's been quite a ride! Best of luck to you and your fowl!

6. Chair13

Chair13 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

8. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    [​IMG] From Colorado!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The longer you stick with it the easier poultry keeping becomes. Sounds as if you have learned how to roll with the punches. Good luck with this season's incubation.

10. Chair13

Chair13 New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you :) We have had a share of misfortune, but learning as we go.. Even teaching my local vet a few things :) I enjoy all my birds and hope to continue learning about them. They are a joy to have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by