Hi,BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wooly Chicken, May 21, 2016.

1. Wooly Chicken

Wooly Chicken New Egg

May 21, 2016
    I have a lot of questions to ask. But first off, let me introduce myself. My name is Reese, but you can call me by my user name if you want. I'd like to know if you can buy chickens all year. If so, I'd like to know which hatcheries do. I can't own chickens where I live now, but I'll be moving in around August to some where near NE Ohio. I'd also like to know which breeds are good for beginners and the area where I'm moving. Should I get them prematured? Thank you.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Welcome wooly..
    I'm not sure where to get chicks in fall..I usally hatch my own. . Craigslist could be a option too.. alot people hatch and sell chicks.

Far as breeds go ..really depends on what you like most breeds lay great. Alot people pick a mixture of breeds.. I like the duel purpose breeds like rir. orpingtons barred rock. Some people get marans and easter eggers for a more colorful egg selection.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Alot people will sell young pullets in summer and fall..

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Reese and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard.

I would say that getting older chickens (4 months plus) is a good idea for a beginner as the learning curve is more gentle, you'll get eggs earlier and the costs are lower, since you don't have to get the necessary equipment for a brooder etc.

Good luck!

CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Reese, I think chicks are still available through fall. I think you mean you would like started pullets /point of lay pullets. Those are females close to laying eggs, then you don't have to raise from baby chicks and get stuck with a bunch of roosters instead. I suggest you post on the Ohio thread and find out positively, if your new location has restrictions against chickens. Better to know ahead of time - than have new neighbors turn you in to the authorities ( always some tattle tales that have to mind your business instead of their own.)

Just put Ohio in the search box above and the thread will come up for you.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by